LANDesk Security and Patch News
- (July 30, 2010 - UPDATE) LANDesk has added support for the disabling the hot fix in a seperate vulnerability definition. See New Vulnerabilities section below for naming details.
- (July 21, 2010) Microsoft has released security advisory 2286198. The vulnerability exists because Windows incorrectly parses shortcuts in such a way that malicious code may be executed when the icon of a specially crafted shortcut is displayed. This vulnerability can be exploited locally through a malicious USB drive, or remotely via network shares and WebDAV. An exploit can also be included in specific document types that support embedded shortcuts.
The vulnerability definition, 2286198 for LANDesk provides the "Fix it" patch that implements the workaround described in the MS Security Advisory. Microsoft reports that running the "Fix it" patch can help prevent attacks attempting to exploit this vulnerability. This workaround will disable some icons from being displayed so Microsoft recommends that administrators test this before deploying it widely. Please visit the following pages for more details:
- Vulnerability ID – 2286198_Enable
- Vulnerability ID – 2286198_Disable
- Vulnerability ID – 2286198
New Patch Downloads
Where to Send Feedback
At LANDesk, we are constantly striving to improve our products and services and hope you find these changes reflective of our ongoing commitment to listen to you—our partners and customers—in providing the best possible solutions to meet your needs now and in the future. Please continue to provide feedback by contacting our local support organization.
LANDesk Product Support
Copyright © 2010 LANDesk Software. All rights reserved. LANDesk is either a registered trademark or trademark of LANDesk Software, Ltd. or its affiliated entities in the United States and/or other countries. Other names or brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Information in this document is provided for information purposes only. The information presented here is subject to change without notice. This information is not warranted to be error-free, nor subject to any other warranties or conditions, whether expressed orally or implied in law, including any implied warranties and conditions of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. LANDesk disclaims any liability with respect to this document and LANDesk has no responsibility or liability for any third party products of any content contained on any site referenced herein. This document may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without our prior written permission. For the most current product information, please visit http://www.landesk.com.