Sometimes it might be useful to prove that a machine can connect ok to the database outside of the LANDesk products. For example, when you run a Crystal report within the console application the database connection is established on the machine where you are running it (whereas console will connect to a TPS on the server and the server will connect to a database). Below is one way which this can be tested:
- Create a new text file. Perhaps you can call it testconnection.txt
- Rename the file to have a .udl extension (this creates a universal data link file). For example testconnection.udl. I have attached a .udl file for you to download if you prefer.
- Double-click on the file which will open the Data Link Properties.
- On the provider tab select the appropriate driver that you used when setting the database connections on your report. For example for SQL Server select: Microsoft OLEDB for SQL Server.
- Click on the Connection tab.
- Type in the server name, use a specific user name and password (same as defined in your crystal report), then select the database.
- Click the Test Connection button.