Some extra information about how knowledge domains work

Version 1

Knowledge domains are a way of segregating your knowledge articles so that only certain groups of users can view certain articles.  There is also some information about this in the Knowledge Management manual.  Here is a link to the 7.4 version of that manual and the section on domains is on page 37.

You can create or amend a knowledge domain by either:

• Placing the knowledge domain attribute on your article window via Window Manager and set the label property to hyperlink = true.  Then you can click on the hyperlink when the field is empty to create a new knowledge domain category or you can click on the hyperlink when the field is populated to amend the record.
    • Creating a query based on the Knowledge Management - Knowledge Domain Category object.  You can then create, delete or create new (via right-click or via the actions panel) knowledge domain categories as required.

You then allocate which knowledge domains that you want your group(s) to be able to search by opening up the Administration component, locating your group record and then selecting the Manage Knowledge Domains option (via right-click or via the actions panel).  If you are interested in seeing some screenshots showing this please have a look at this article here.

Other points to note about how knowledge domains work:

• Once a knowledge domain is specified on an article, (this may also require a knowledge rebuild in some circumstances), only users who are active in a group which has been given the ability to search that domain will see it when searching knowledge.  This includes the SA user.  In other words, you need to make the SA user a member of a group which can search that knowledge domain and then make that group the current group for SA before that article will appear in the knowledge search results.
    • When searching, only the domains allocated to your current group will be searched.  It will not search through either inherited (from parent groups such as a Company group which your current group has as a parent) or cumulative domains from multiple groups. For example, if I had two knowledge domains: internal and external.  If I was a member of two groups: group A which has access to internal domain knowledge and group B which has access to external domain knowledge, then rather than being able to search both internal and external, I can only search one or the other depending on which group is my active one (via the change group option).
      • NOTE: This works this way because you may be using knowledge domains to segregate data, not for the purpose of not allowing someone to search an area, but to aide someone to only see results that are relevant to them.  For example, if I am working in Group A then by using knowledge domains I know that when I search I will only see results that have been selected as being relevant to the job I do in Group A rather than showing me everything.
    • If you leave a knowledge domain attribute blank on a knowledge article, then everyone will be able to search on it, irrespective of what access their group has been given.  This can be useful if you want to create an article that you want to guarantee that all users can search on.  However, if you would like to avoid the possibility of this happening, then you would need to ensure that the knowledge domain category is mandatory on your article window.