I have a need to set a simple field for a lot of computers, for example, just a simple Yes or No. I have lots of computers I want to set this value to. Is there a simple way I could setup a rule to allow me to a field to Yes or No for lots of computers at once? Also, I need this field to stay, as it is not part of the data that the inventory scanner collects.
Using DTS you could create a simple Map rule that lets you set a field to a particular. For example, say you want to set a field to Yes. To create this rule, follow these steps:
1. Go into the Management Suite console.
2. Right click on a computer and select Inventory.
3. Click on the component where you want the attribute to exist, in this example we will use Computer.
4. Right click on the component and select New String.
5. Enter the name for the attribute and a value for this computer. In this example, we will call the attribute To Be Sold. The reason you are creating the attribute this way, is that a property of the attribute gets set that causes the inventory service to ignore this attribute. So when an inventory scan comes in, it will not delete this attribute.
6. Go into the Data Translation Services console.
7. Right click on Map Data in the left treeview and select New Rule.
8. Give the rule a Name. In this example, we will use Set To Be Sold to Yes.
9. Click Next.
10. Click Next.
11. Set the Database Attribute to the new attribute you created, in the example, Computer.To Be Sold, and click Next.
12. Click Add.
13. Select Computer.Device ID as the source attribute. The reason we are using Device ID is that we always want this rule to run and Computer.Device ID will always exist for a computer, so it will always run.
14. Click Next until you get to the Enter the value you would like returned dialog.
15. Enter Yes for the Prefix.
16. Uncheck Value Found.
17. Click Finish.
18. Click Next.
19. Click Finish.
You can now drag and drop computers, or queries or groups onto the rule and it will set the To Be Sold attribute to Yes. You can repeat the steps to create a rule to set the To Be Sold attribute to No.