Troubleshooting Avalanche Package Issues / My device is not receiving packages from Avalanche Server / Device getting wrong package from avalanche

Version 21

Verified Product Versions

Avalanche 6.1Avalanche 6.0Avalanche 5.3Avalanche 5.2Avalanche 5.0Avalanche 4.8Avalanche SE 5.3

Environment:

Avalanche 4.x to 5.3.1 ( You can apply the same principles to Avalanche 6.x+)

Both Avalanche Site Edition (ASE) and Avalanche Mobility Center (AMC)

Problem/Issue:

• My device is not receiving any packages from my Avalanche Server
    • My device does not receive the right package from my Avalanche Server

Cause:

The following can cause your device to not receive packages from the Avalanche Server:

• The device is not connected to the server OR is not in the correct location
    • The software profile has not been created OR is not in the correct location
    • The packages have not been added to the software profile OR have not been applied to the correct location
    • The package selection criteria OR profile selection criteria contains incorrect syntax or does not include the device
    • Duplicate packages are applied to the same device (this would cause your device to receive the "device needs packages" when )

Resolution:

Verify that the device and profile are in the same location

In the example below, the device and the profile both appear at the 'Server Location A' location.

Find the profile

Click on the Profiles tab (Click the photo below to enlarge)

Profiles.PNG

Find the device

Click on the Mobile Device Inventory tab (Click the photo below to enlarge)
    Mobile Device Inventory.PNG

Verify that the profile is applied

Once you have verified that the profile and device are in the same place, verify that the profile is applied

Find the profile under the Server Location Properties tab

Click on the Server Location Properties tab (Click the photo below to enlarge)

Profile Applied.png

Verify the package selection criteria includes the device

If your device is still not receiving a specific package, check the package's selection criteria against the properties on the device to make sure that the device is included.

In the example below, the device has an Enabler Version of '5.3-23', ModelName of 'MOTOMC9100', and OS Type of 'Windows CE'

Mobile Device Properties.PNG

An enabler has been added to the 'Test' software package. The package selection criteria does include 'ModelName=MC9100', but the OS Type is 'Pocket PC'.

Mobile Device Properties2.png

Verify that your device meets the criteria of the package.

Helpful Hint

If the device's status changes to 'Update Pending' after you add the package to the profile and deploy it, then you know that the package's selection criteria includes the device and should download to the device.