Sometimes it is necessary to manually inject drivers into the Boot.wim file to allow client computers to properly recognize the network card, USB3 or other devices.
This is most easily done with the Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool, commonly known as DISM.
DISM is also the utility LANDESK Hardware Independent Imaging employs to install drivers during the HII step of Provisioning Templates and OSD Scripts.
Here are the steps to setup for and inject the drivers into the boot.wim file with DISM.
- Create the following folders on the root of the C drive:
- Copy the drivers you wish to inject into the C:\Mount\Drivers folder
- Copy \Program Files(x86)\LANDESK\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot\boot.wim to the C:\Mount folder.
- Open a CMD prompt as Administrator.
- Navigate to "C:\Mount".
- Use the following DISM commands to mount the Boot.wim:
DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\Mount\boot.wim /Index:1 /MountDir:C:\Mount\BootWIM
- Use the following DISM command to add the driver:
DISM /Image:C:\Mount\BootWIM /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\Mount\Drivers /recurse
- Use the following DISM command to unmount the Boot.wim:
DISM /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\Mount\BootWIM /Commit
Cleanup and Deploy
- Copy the newly updated Boot.WIM file from the mount folder to the \Program Files(x86)\LANDESK\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot\ folder.
- If desired, you can delete the C:\Mount folder and its contents.
- Redeploy your PXE Rep.
- PXE Boot your client and verify the drivers are being correctly recognized now.