Environment: Web Access 7.3 or higher.
Question: How do I create a new self service dashboard from scratch?
Below are the steps to create a new dashboard so that it launches from a shortcut. This is just one example dashboard and if you require further reading about dashboards please see this guide Dashboards. What is a Dashboard and how do I create and publish one? or see the product documentation guides Documentation (Service Desk)
- Login to Self Service with a user who has the correct privileges to create and publish dashboards.
- Right-click on the shortcut group area and select "New Group"
- Fill in details about the group. In my example I do not want to select "Publish to all".
- Right click on the new shortcut group to select "Add Dashboard Shortcut".
- Fill in the details. Note: don't click "Add to shortcut bar" unless you want this dashboard as an option off the shortcut (rather than appearing when the shortcut group is clicked).
- When the dashboard is created ensure that you are in design mode (top right-hand corner dropdown) and then right-click within the dashboard to select "Add New Gadget".
- Fill in the dashboard name and in this instance we will be creating a query gadget.
- On the query design screen select the area of data you will be working with. In this instance I want to query Incidents.
- Click to select the columns that you require on your query and then click OK. In this instance I don't want the actual incidents themselves to be opened from the query (a view-only query) so I select "Prevent Launch of Records".
- I now want to filter the results to only show incidents raised by users within the same group of the logged in user. I click on the down-arrow in the top right of my query and select "Insert Filter.."
- I expand the Raise User object and select Current Group.
- My filter is for Raise User.Current Group is Current Group.
- I want to group the query by the team member so I right click on the Raise User column to select Group Ascending.
- I want the dashboard to run when anyone clicks on the Manager's Overview shortcut group. I ensure the dashboard is displayed and then right-click on the Manager's Overview shortcut group to select Replace This Shortcut Group With Current Page.
- Within console select Shortcuts - Manage Shortcuts. Then I change to the Publish Shortcut Groups tab and change the top-right dropdown to Self Service Shortcuts. I can then publish my dashboard to the groups of users or roles required.