Summary: Avalanche needs to be able to communicate with MSSQL in order to create and populate the databases on installation. The general installation requirements for this can be found in the Avalanche 6 documentation which can be found .
One common issue with connections is that MSSQL Express versions do not allow remote TCP connection by default. The error you will see on installation is:
"SQLSERVEREXCEPTION: THE TCP/IP CONNECTION TO THE HOST, PORT 1433 HAS FAILED"
This message can also be caused by a firewall blocking that port. In order to add the firewall exception please review your firewall settings.
To enable MSSQL Express to allow the connections follow the steps below.
1. Run the SQL Server Configuration Manager from your Start Menu.
2. Expand the SQL Server Network Configuration item.
3. Select the Protocols for SQLEXPRESS item.
4. Right-click on TCP/IP.
a. Select Enable.
5. Then right-click on TCP/IP and choose Properties.
a. Click on the IP Addresses tab.
b.In the IPALL section, in the TCP Port field enter “1433”.
6. Click Apply, Then Ok
7. Close the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
8. Go to the Windows Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services area and Stop and then Start the SQL Server (Express) service for the changes to take affect.
9. Run the Avalanche 6 installation.