LANDesk® Security Review for the Week Ending September 12, 2008
LANDesk® Patch Manager and Security Suite ("LDSS") provide customers with the latest security and application patches and updates for the most utilized software in your business. Maintaining a safe and secure environment helps to avoid downtime that will affect employees and productivity. The following items are the patch and update highlights from this past week.
Vulnerability Definitions - This week was Microsoft's Patch Tuesday. Four critical security bulletins were released. The patches address several vulnerabilities in Microsoft's operating systems, productivity applications, and media applications. Additional third-party applications were also released from other vendors:
- Vulnerability ID: Please see the bulletin for the related vulnerability IDs
- Vulnerability ID: QTIMEv755 & ITUNESv80
- Vulnerability ID: WIRESHARKv103
- Vulnerability ID: WINZIP120
- Vulnerability ID: GOOGLE_5.8.808.21323
HPUX: 15 vulnerabilities ;
SLES: 5 new vulnerabilities ;
- Sometimes a virus shows up that does not have a definition yet. This is true for all viruses when they are first written. These are called "zero day" viruses. The following link provides instructions on how these samples can be sent to LANDesk for inclusion in our Antivirus pattern files.
- Virus Watch from our partner Kaspersky Lab
Getting the most out of LANDesk Security and Patch Manager
- Vulscan does a lot of the heavy lifting in the LANDesk Security and Patch Manager tool. LANDesk Customer Support has put together a document that will help you understand some of the key information in the vulscan log.
Patching a Step in the Right "Security" Direction
- This week we highlight a security manager's efforts to build a security program from the ground up. The first step in this plan was implementing a patch policy. Click on the link below for the story.
Where to Send Feedback
At LANDesk, we are constantly striving to improve our products and services and hope you find these changes reflective of our ongoing commitment to listen to you-our partners and customers-in providing the best possible solutions to meet your needs now and in the future. Please continue to provide feedback by contacting our local support organization.
LANDesk Product Support
Copyright © 2008 LANDesk Software. All rights reserved. LANDesk is either a registered trademark or trademark of LANDesk Software, Ltd. or its affiliated entities in the United States and/or other countries. Other names or brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Information in this document is provided for information purposes only. The information presented here is subject to change without notice. This information is not warranted to be error-free, nor subject to any other warranties or conditions, whether expressed orally or implied in law, including any implied warranties and conditions of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. LANDesk disclaims any liability with respect to this document and LANDesk has no responsibility or liability for any third party products of any content contained on any site referenced herein. This document may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without our prior written permission. For the most current product information, please visit http://www.landesk.com/.