How To: Use Custom Data with OSX/Macintosh Agents

Version 4

Verified Product Versions

LANDESK Management Suite 2016.x

Environment:

-LDMS 9.5

-LDMS 9.6

Purpose:

It is possible to report custom data from the OSX/Macintosh agent that is listed in the device's inventory.  In this example, I am copying an XML generated by McAfee for display in device inventory on the core.

2014-11-07 16_28_04-dlemoine-lab - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Step by Step:

In this step by step, I will be detailing a very specific scenario.  I want to have the McAfee antivirus agent information reported to my core from my OSX devices.  You can skip the first steps for the same result according to your needs.

1) Locate the path of the McAfee config.xml.  In this case, it is located here: /etc/cma.d/EPOAGENT3700MACX/config.xml

2) Plug that location into the following command: cat *location of config.xml* > /Library/Application\ Support/LANDesk/CustomData/McAffee.xml

Example: cat /etc/cma.d/EPOAGENT3700MACX/config.xml > /Library/Application\ Support/LANDesk/CustomData/McAffee.xml

3) Save this command into a .sh file on your core, preferably where you store your distribution packages.  I created the following: \\*core*\ldmain\landesk\files\OSX\McAffeeLync.sh

4) Create a new "Macintosh Package".  Associate the .sh file you created with this package and save it.

5) Schedule a test task.  Once you run this on a machine and you can verify that the .xml was copied to the CustomData folder, run an inventory scan on the test device.

6) Allow the custom data fields in Configure > Services > Inventory Tab > Unknown Items...

7) Run an inventory scan on the test device once more.  It is necessary to run it again after allowing the custom data fields in the previous step.

8) Schedule the task to run once a day (or according to your needs).  Associate an OSX query with this package to run properly with added OSX devices.

Note: In the example I provided above, the package is only 1KB.  This will not cause any significant network traffic.  A typical inventory scan will be about 400KB, for comparison.