LANDesk® Security Review for the Week Ending October 24, 2008
LANDesk® Patch Manager and Security Suite ("LDSS") provide customers with the latest security and application patches and updates for the most utilized software in your business. Maintaining a safe and secure environment helps to avoid downtime that will affect employees and productivity. The following items are the patch and update highlights from this past week.
Vulnerability Definitions - This week Microsoft released an out-of-band security bulletin MS08-067. The bulletin addresses a vulnerability that could allow for remote code execution. The vulnerability could also be used in creating a wormable exploit. Customers are urged to apply this update as soon as possible. Additional third-party applications were also released from other vendors:
- Vulnerability ID: ST000203 and ST000205
- Vulnerability ID: WIRESHARKv104, PIDGINv252, and OPERA_ENUv961
- Vulnerability ID: 957257_ENU
- Vulnerability ID: SILVERLIGHTv2.0.31005.0
- Vulnerability ID: 905866v25
- Vulnerability ID: MS08-067, MS08-067_VISTA_WIN2008
- Vulnerability ID: RVNC_Ev443, RVNCV_Ev443, RVNC_Pv443, RVNCV_Pv443
- Vulnerability ID:
- Vulnerability ID:
HPUX: 4 vulnerabilities;
Solaris: 2 vulnerabilities
SLES: 5 vulnerabilities;
- Sometimes a virus shows up that does not have a definition yet. This is true for all viruses when they are first written. These are called "zero day" viruses. The following link provides instructions on how these samples can be sent to LANDesk for inclusion in our Antivirus pattern files.
- Virus Watch from our partner Kaspersky Lab
Is Anti-Virus enough?
- This week we share an administrator's insight into using a layered approach to security with an anti-virus solution and an anti-spyware solution.
Where to Send Feedback
At LANDesk, we are constantly striving to improve our products and services and hope you find these changes reflective of our ongoing commitment to listen to you-our partners and customers-in providing the best possible solutions to meet your needs now and in the future. Please continue to provide feedback by contacting our local support organization.
LANDesk Product Support
Copyright © 2008 LANDesk Software. All rights reserved. LANDesk is either a registered trademark or trademark of LANDesk Software, Ltd. or its affiliated entities in the United States and/or other countries. Other names or brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Information in this document is provided for information purposes only. The information presented here is subject to change without notice. This information is not warranted to be error-free, nor subject to any other warranties or conditions, whether expressed orally or implied in law, including any implied warranties and conditions of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. LANDesk disclaims any liability with respect to this document and LANDesk has no responsibility or liability for any third party products of any content contained on any site referenced herein. This document may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without our prior written permission. For the most current product information, please visit http://www.landesk.com/.