LANDesk® Security Review for the Week Ending October 31, 2008
LANDesk® Patch Manager and Security Suite ("LDSS") provide customers with the latest security and application patches and updates for the most utilized software in your business. Maintaining a safe and secure environment helps to avoid downtime that will affect employees and productivity. The following items are the patch and update highlights from this past week.
Vulnerability Definitions - This week we have released updates for Microsoft's ActiveX, Communicator 2007, and Opera's latest web browser. See the links below for additional details:
- Vulnerability ID: OPERA962_Update
- Vulnerability ID: APPLE-AirPortExtremeUpdate2008004
- Vulnerability ID: OPERA962_Update
- Vulnerability ID: OFFICE-2008-1214
HPUX: 2 vulnerabilities;
Redhat: 5 vulnerabilities;
Solaris: 4 vulnerabilities;
SLES: 5 vulnerabilities;
- Sometimes a virus shows up that does not have a definition yet. This is true for all viruses when they are first written. These are called "zero day" viruses. The following link provides instructions on how these samples can be sent to LANDesk for inclusion in our Antivirus pattern files.
- Virus Watch from our partner Kaspersky Lab
Get ready for a Spyware update
- LANDesk Software is going to be releasing a patch to LANDesk Management Suite (LDSS) 8.7. This patch is to get the spyware scanning engine up to the same version that LDSS 8.8 uses. This patch will be released as part of LANDesk content and should be applied to the core server and the clients as soon as possible. Once the patch is released the database files that LDSS 8.7 currently uses will no longer be updated to include detection and remediation of new spyware that is being released.
The Worm turns 20
- This week's article, about the Morris Worm, reminds us that Internet worms have been around for 20 years-wow, that's almost unbelievable. What I find interesting is that the same basic principles that allowed for this attack to be successful are still prevalent today.
Where to Send Feedback
At LANDesk, we are constantly striving to improve our products and services and hope you find these changes reflective of our ongoing commitment to listen to you-our partners and customers-in providing the best possible solutions to meet your needs now and in the future. Please continue to provide feedback by contacting our local support organization.
LANDesk Product Support
Copyright © 2008 LANDesk Software. All rights reserved. LANDesk is either a registered trademark or trademark of LANDesk Software, Ltd. or its affiliated entities in the United States and/or other countries. Other names or brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Information in this document is provided for information purposes only. The information presented here is subject to change without notice. This information is not warranted to be error-free, nor subject to any other warranties or conditions, whether expressed orally or implied in law, including any implied warranties and conditions of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. LANDesk disclaims any liability with respect to this document and LANDesk has no responsibility or liability for any third party products of any content contained on any site referenced herein. This document may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without our prior written permission. For the most current product information, please visit http://www.landesk.com/.