While most customers remote desktop into the Xtraction application server and run the Data Model Editor (DME) on the server itself, there are times when it is preferred (or necessary) to run the DME on a workstation. The instructions below explain how to install the DME on a workstation. Additional instructions are available for configuring the Xtraction application server(s) here: How do I configure the Xtraction server to allow data modeling from a workstation?
Download Data Model Editor (DME)
NOTE: If you do not have access to the "Software Releases" forum, please contact your company's Xtraction administrator for assistance.
- Download the version of the DME that matches the version of Xtraction that you are running. These can be found in the "Software Releases" forum on the Xtraction support site.
- Unzip this file into a folder on the workstation.
- If desired, create a shortcut on your desktop or Start menu, and point it at the DataModelEditor.exe program in that folder
DME License File
- Request a DME license file. A separate DME license file is required for each workstation. This license is associated with the name of the computer. So, if you rename your computer or transition to a new computer, you will need a new DME license file. To acquire a DME license, please have your company's Xtraction administrator submit a request to Xtraction support.
- Place the license file, DataModelEditor.lic, into the DME folder created in the previous step
Editing the data model
- Launch the DME on the workstation
- Use File > Open to navigate to the network share
- With the Open dialog still open, right click on the DataModel.dat file and select Copy to place it on the clipboard
- Navigate to the Backups folder
- Right click in the folder and select Paste to make a backup copy of the Data Model file. If appropriate, rename the backup file to follow whatever naming convention is in use
- Return to the Configuration folder and open the DataModel.dat file
- Edit the file as necessary in the DME and save the changes.