While most customers remote desktop into the Xtraction application server and run the Data Model Editor (DME) on the server itself, there are times when it is preferred (or necessary) to run the DME on a workstation. The instructions below explain how to configure the Xtraction application server to support remote editing of the Data Model files. Instructions for configuring the workstation(s) can be found here: How do I install the Data Model Editor (DME) on my workstation?
Create Server Share
In order for the DME on the workstation to edit the data model file on the Xtraction application server, a network share and appropriate permissions must be configured on the Xtraction application server. This can be configured on the production and test servers as appropriate. In some environments, the DME on the workstation will only be able to access the test server. Then, after the data model changes have been tested, someone with the ability to remote into the test and production systems would be responsible for deploying the data model file from test to production. In this scenario, the network share is only necessary on the test server.
For the cleanest and easiest setup, we recommend the following steps be performed on the Xtraction application server:
- In the Program Files\Hagrid Software\Xtraction\Data\Configuration folder, create a Backups subfolder
- Grant the DME user List folder permissions to the Program Files\Hagrid Software\Xtraction\Data\Configuration folder (this limits the default access to the folder contents, protecting files in the folder like the license file, configuration files, etc.)
- Grant the DME user Modify rights to the Backups subfolder (this allows the user to create/delete backup files in the folder)
- Grant the DME user Modify rights to the DataModel.dat file in the Configuration folder (the user can modify just this one file in the Configuration folder, all other files are unavailable due to them only having List rights)
- Create a network share to the Configuration folder
- Grant the DME user Modify rights to the network share