Sometimes, other more immediate troubleshooting steps are not enough to identify or resolve a problem you may be experiencing in Xtraction. If deemed necessary, Xtraction support may request that you turn on tracing and then send them a copy of the resulting trace file. The following are the steps for working with trace files in Xtraction.
Turn on tracing
- On the Xtraction server, locate the Xtraction Software\Xtraction\Web\Server folder
- Open the web.config file in notepad or another text editor
- If a line already exists for the key "TracingEnabled", then set the value to "TRUE" and save the file
Add a "TracingEnabled" line
- If a line for the key "Tracing Enabled" does not exist, create one
- Find the line "<appSettings />"
- Replace the line with the following and save the file
<add key="TracingEnabled" value="False" />
- Log into the Xtraction web application
- Load the dashboard or document being tested
Turn off tracing
- Change the "Tracing Enabled" line by setting the "value" to "FALSE" in the web.config file.
- Save the file
Send the trace file
- After turning off the trace logging, send the resulting trace file to the support staff that requested the tracing.
- The log file is named "Trace.log" and is located in the Xtraction Software\Xtraction\Data\Log folder
- Finally, rename or delete the "Trace.log" file so that the next time you need to turn on tracing, it starts as a new file.