This document will illustrate the steps needed to take to troubleshoot issues pattern files (also known as Bases files) for Ivanti Antivirus.
What are Pattern Files?
Ivanti Antivirus uses pattern files (otherwise known as "bases") programs try to find virus patterns inside ordinary programs by scanning them for so-called virus signatures. A virus signature is merely a sequence of bytes that an antivirus program looks for because it is known to be part of the virus. A better term would be "search strings". If the virus scanner finds such a pattern in a file, it will perform other checks to make sure that it has found the virus, and not merely a coincidental sequence in an innocent file, before it notifies that the file is infected and/or takes action.
Pattern file update process
Several conditions must be met on the Core Server in order for updates to download properly:
You must have an active license for IVanti Antivirus
If you do not have a current Ivanti Antivirus license, please contact your Ivanti Sales Representative.
To check the status of your Ivanti Antivirus license, the following steps should be taken:
- In the Ivanti Endpoint Manager console click on the Configure menu item at the top of the Console and select "Product Licensing..."
- Click the header for the Product Name column to sort by name. Ivanti Antivirus should appear at the top if the license is present. If so, check the date of the license expiration.
A task for Ivanti Antivirus pattern file updates must be present
A task must exist on the core server in order to update pattern files on a regular basis.
Tasks can be set to run every Hour, Day, Week, or Month. In order to have updates run at intervals less than a day but more than an hour, several pattern file update tasks must be created to run at different times.
It is recommended to run pattern file updates at least once a day so that any new viruses that come out during that time will be properly scanned for and then deleted, quarantined or repaired properly.
Note: If you have updated from one version of Ivanti Endpoint Manager to another it is recommended to remove any existing update tasks and create new ones.
The following steps are how to schedule a Ivanti Antivirus pattern (bases) file update:
- Within the Configuration tool group open the Agent Settings tool.
- Click the Download Updates button. (This is the first button in the toolbar, an orange diamond with a down arrow).
- Move to the "Updates" tab and navigate to the Mac and/or Windows section(s) of the tree, and then open the Antivirus sub-node.
- Open the further Ivanti Antivirus Updates sub-node. Underneath the Windows section it will show the following: