This document is written based on LANDESK Management Suite 2016, if you have an earlier version some steps may vary.
This document will illustrate the steps needed to take to troubleshoot issues pattern files (also known as Bases files) for LANDESK Antivirus.
What are Pattern Files?
LANDESK Antivirus uses pattern files (otherwise known as "bases") programs try to find virus patterns inside ordinary programs by scanning them for so-called virus signatures. A virus signature is merely a sequence of bytes that an antivirus program looks for because it is known to be part of the virus. A better term would be "search strings". If the virus scanner finds such a pattern in a file, it will perform other checks to make sure that it has found the virus, and not merely a coincidental sequence in an innocent file, before it notifies that the file is infected and/or takes action.
Pattern file update process
Several conditions must be met on the Core Server in order for updates to download properly:
You must have an active license for LANDESK Antivirus
If you do not have a current LANDESK Antivirus license, please contact your LANDESK Sales Representative.
To check the status of your LANDESK Antivirus license, the following steps should be taken:
- In the LANDESK Management Console click on the Configure menu item at the top of the Console and select "Product Licensing..."
- Click the header for the Product Name column to sort by name. LANDESK Antivirus should appear at the top if the license is present. If so, check the date for the license expiration.
A task for LANDESK Antivirus pattern file updates must be present
A task must exist on the core server in order to update pattern files on a regular basis.
Tasks can be set to run every Hour, Day, Week, or Month. In order to have updates run at intervals less than a day but more than an hour, several pattern file update tasks must be created to run at different times.
It is recommended to run pattern file updates at least once a day so that any new viruses that come out during that time will be properly scanned for and then deleted, quarantined or repaired properly.
Note: If you have updated from one version of LDMS to another it is recommended to remove any existing update tasks and create new ones.
The following steps are how to schedule a LANDesk Antivirus pattern (bases) file update:
- Within the Configuration tool group open the Agent Settings tool.
- Click the Download Updates button. (This is the first button in the toolbar, an orange diamond with a down arrow).
- Move to the "Updates" tab and navigate to the Mac and/or Windows section(s) of the tree, and then open the Antivirus sub-node.
- Open the further LANDESK Antivirus Updates sub-node. Underneath the Windows section it will show the following: