CETerm: How to configure the integrated Text Input Tool

Version 1

Verified Product Versions

Wavelink Naurtech CETerm 5.7

Applies to: CETerm, CE3270, CE5250, CEVT220

Symptom

The Text Input tool has no strings. I would like to load some text strings that I can use with my emulation client.

Resolution

For keyboardless devices, data entry is usually performed using an stylus with the integrated soft keypad. This requires the user to spell-type text strings. This is a slow process and not optimal to a positive user experience. The Text Input Tool address this issue by sending complete text strings to the display window at the current cursor location. A user can cache often used text strings in the input tool.

From the application menu, select [Display][Input Tool] to invoke the Text Input Tool. You can also achieve this by using the hotkey [Ctrl][Shift][I] or use the Toolbar icon. The Text Input Tool may be made visible or hidden by alternatively selecting the menu bar button or hotkey.

The input tool requires a text file to load input strings. In this file, text strings should be delimited with carriage returns. Here is an example of the text format for the input file:

text input test
    my login ID

often used text

A text file with the above strings will appear as three text string entries in the text input tool.

You may create the text file on the desktop and download it onto the device via ActiveSync. Alternatively you may use an application like Pocket Word to create a text file. In this case, make sure you save the file as text and not in pocket word format. We recommend the former.

Once the text file is on the device, you can invoke the Text Input tool. Tap the "File" button. This will prompt a File Open dialog. Navigate to the text file for input and hit OK. The text input tool will load all the text strings into its cache.

Note that you cannot have more than 32 cached entries. Each string cannot exceed 64 characters.

Additional Information

None