Best known methods are only intended to be a starting point while finding what works best in any given environment. This guide will assist Ivanti Administrators with creating a software distribution package for Microsoft Office 365 Click-to-Run and deploying it with Ivanti EPM. When distributing Microsoft Office to multiple computers it is important to obtain the volume license for that product version. This document does not make reference to volume licensing. For more information on Microsoft Volume licensing please go direct with Microsoft.
Installing Office 365 Click-to-Run
Download Office Deployment Tool (ODT) to a Network Share
There are (2) Deployment tools available. If you are managing Office 2016 product please use the 2016 version. For this example, the 2013 version was used.
- The server this Network share is on does not have to be your Ivanti EPM Core server as long it has the correct NTFS and Share permissions. If you elect to use a server other than your Ivanti EPM Core you will need to ensure you have that server configured as an Ivanti EPM Preferred Server (How to configure a Preferred Package Server)
For this example, the Core's LDLogon share was used and I created an Office sub-folder.
Run the Executable
- Run the downloaded .exe file as an administrator. The process will create a setup.exe and a configuration.xml
Customize the Configuration.xml
- Microsoft now offers a Configuration XML Editor which presents you with a GUI assisting in the creation of the xml file.
Below is an example of what the Configuration file will look. You can modify the attributes to your liking through the Configuration XML Editor tool or by manually editing the file.
<Configuration> <Add SourcePath="\\share_server_name\share_folder" OfficeClientEdition="32" > <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail"> <Language ID="en-us" /> <Product ID="VisioProRetail"> <Language ID="en-us" /> </Product> </Add> <Updates Enabled="TRUE" UpdatePath="\\share_server_name\share_folder" /> <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" /> <Logging Level="Standard" Path="%temp%" /> <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" /> </Configuration>
Execute the Setup File
Now that your configuration xml file has been completed, open up an admin command prompt, navigate to your share and run the following:
setup.exe /download configuration.xml
This creates an "Office" folder with all the required files to complete your install.
Installing via Batch Distribution Package
- Create a batch file with the following command and save it to your share:
\\server_name\share_name\setup.exe /configure \\server_name\share_name\configuration.xml
Create Batch Distribution Package
- Create a distribution package to point to your batch file and distribute it out to your targets.
Installing via Executable Distribution Package
- Create a distribution package to point to the setup.exe file located in your share location.
- Select Install/Uninstall options and add the following command line switches:
- Select Additional files, navigate to your share location and add the configuration.xml file and your Office folder to the additional files list.
Note: You will be prompted to add the contents of any sub directories contained in your Office folder. Choose Yes.
- You can now Save your Executable package and schedule it out to your desired targets.