Agent installation fails and there is zero or partial component appears in the start menu of the client OS. The following errors appear in the wscfg32.log.
FAILED: Running application: msiexec /i "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\<Name of Agent Configuraiton>.msi" /L*v "C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Log\<Name of Agent Configuration>_msi.log"
FAILED: bCriticalError is true. Setting exit code to ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE
From the MSI log "C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Log\<Name of Agent Configuration>_msi.log", there is an error like this:
DEBUG: Error 2738: Could not access VBScript runtime for custom action
Possible Cause #1: The VB Script engine is not correctly registered.
Possible Cause#2: A registry value that calls vbscript.dll by default is modified by third party software to utilize other DLL files, especially antivirus software. After the software is uninstalled, even with a removal tool, the registry key may still remain from the default value.
Apply the solution below before reinstalling the agent.
For Cause #1:
1. Run Command Prompt as administrator.
1) Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories
2) Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
2. Navigate to the folder that contains the DLL file.
- (32bit Windows) Type cd %windir%\system32 into the Command Prompt and press ENTER.
- (64bit Windows) Type cd %windir%\syswow64 into the Command Prompt and press ENTER.
3. Register the DLL file.
Type regsvr32 vbscript.dll into the Command Prompt and press ENTER.
For Cause #2:
1. Run regedit as administrator.
2. For 64-bit application, navigate to the following key. For 32-bit application, please skip to Step 6.
3. Right-click this key and select "Permissions..."
4. Select the "Administrators" group and click the check-box for Allow "Full Control"
5. You may see the value is associated with a file from a software vendor other than Microsoft. Edit the "(Default)" key's value and change it to the following:
6. For 32-bit application, navigate to the following key:
7. Right-click this key and select "Permissions..."
8. Select the "Administrators" group and click the check-box for Allow "Full Control"
9. Edit the "(Default)" key's value and change it to the following: