CETerm FAQ

Version 2

Verified Product Versions

Wavelink Naurtech CETerm 5.7

Q1. What is a Terminal Emulation?

A1. Traditionally, dumb terminals have been used to access applications running on mainframe host systems. There are many different types of hardware terminals. These terminals adhere to well-defined protocols, which define their type. They implement commands for      presentation and input of data. Terminal Emulation is the term used to emulate such terminals on a PC or handheld device using a software application. Our products support emulation of 5250, 3270, VT100 and VT220 terminals.

Q2. What is the Naurtech Data Collection Web Browser?

A2. The Data Collection Web Browser is an HTML Browser application with specialized functionality for barcode, RFID or speech enabled Automatic Data Collection applications.

Q3. What do you mean by Web based data collection

A3. RF terminals based on Windows CE / Windows Mobile operating system offer a graphical usability metaphor. These devices have the ability to display GUI rich content. Web based data collection is the term given to using a web (HTML) interface to display graphically rich      content on RF terminals for barcode enabled data collection solutions.

Q4. Are multiple host and browser sessions supported?

A4. Yes. By default, you can have up to four sessions. These may be any combination of terminal emulation or HTML Browser sessions.

Q5. Why do I need your Web Browser when there is one available with Windows CE?

A5. Pocket IE is inadequate for barcode data collection solutions. Here are some reasons why.

• Cannot prevent users from navigating away from the web application
      • Cannot control any of the device peripherals such as barcode scanners and printers. Users need a separate application or ActiveX controls to interface with device peripherals / resources
      • Solution essential keys such as TAB or Function keys do not work correctly within the built-in Pocket browser
      • Cannot lock down the device and run the application in full screen mode
      • Cannot remap hardware keys
      • No integrated support for RFID or Speech
      • Cannot easily automate business process workflows using scripting 

Our web Browser uses the same underlying components as Pocket IE and extends its functionality to meet the requirements for Barcode & RFID data collection solutions

Q6. Can I reformat the screen for terminal emulation?

A6. No, you cannot reformat your 24 x 80 screen to render in an 8 x 16 (or some other) display size. You can however implement a script customized to your host application which will map specific fields from a larger screen to a HTML session. The script will manage both      inbound and outbound data. No changes would be required to your host application.

Q7. Do any of the Naurtech emulators support Asia Pacific languages such as Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Thai?

A7. We support Asia Pacific languages for VT emulation sessions. European language code pages are supported for all IBM and VT emulations.

Q8. My device does not have host specific function keys. How are these made available?

A8. You can remap any physical key on the device to any host key, application operation, escape sequence, text string or script. In addition you can also us soft key buttons in the configurable KeyBar. The "HotSpots" functioality also allows you to interact directly with the terminal      text on the display for touch screen navigation.

Q9. Do I need to make any changes to connect to my host application?

A9. No, you do not. You simply configure our terminal emulation client and connect to your host application.

Q10. Can I automatically login to my host application?

A10. Yes. You can configure your sessions to automatically connect to the host when the application starts. To automatically login, you can associate a pre-recorded macro with the session to playback upon successful connection. You can also use a script for automatic logon. This      can be configured to launch when the session successfully connects to the host.

Q11. I want to prevent users from changing the configuration settings. How can I do this?

A11. You can do this using the configuration access control capability. This allows you to "lock down" the device so that you would need a password to change the application configuration settings. You can lock out the user from the operating system. Doing so minimizes      support for production deployed devices.

Q12. Can I prevent the user from using the stylus / touch screen to control the application?

A12. Yes. This may be done using simple checkbox configuration settings.

Q13. Are my host sessions secure for wireless connections?

A13. Yes. In addition to RF data security (which is provided as part of your wireless LAN / 802.11x), you can also enable data encryption and user authentication using SSL or SSH protocols within all our application.

Q14. Can I access my host application from outside my Corporate firewall?

A14. If your corporate network is protected by a firewall, and you have a need to access your application from outside the network, your IS administrator will need to grant access to your IP address to make a successful host connection. Typically you would use a VPN client to      first get access to your corporate network and run the emulation application over it.

Q15. Can I print?

A15. Yes. Mobile printing is supported to serial, IrDA, Blue tooth or Network attached printers. Pass through printing is supported for VT emulations.

Q16. Can I configure your application to automatically self install and restore configuration settings even if the device cold boots?

A16. Yes. As part of deployment configuration, you can setup devices so that our application will self install and restore the application and device configuration settings after a cold boot. Please note that different device manufacturers follow a different cold boot restore process.      So you will have to follow configuration steps depending on your terminal make and model

Q17. Can I read magnetic strip cards?

A17. Yes you can. Presently we support MSR readers attached to Motorola (Symbol) terminals. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.

Q18. How can I make the function keys work in my Browser sessions when connecting to WebSAPConsole?

A18. You can easily configure the web browser session so that your function keys work with your WebSAPConsole generated HTM pages. Please refer to our support knowledgebase for detailed steps.

Q19. How do I configure your terminal emulation so that the scanned data automatically get submitted with an Enter?

A19. You simply configure the "postamble" setting under scanner configuration to be backslash r

Q20. How do I do the same for a Web Browser session?

A20. Configure the "postamble" setting under scanner configuration to be "IDA_DOM_SUBMIT"

Q21. What is Scripting and how can I use it?

A21. Almost every data collection solution, whether it is around green screen terminal emulation or newer web based applications, requires customization. Scripting is a robust and flexible way for customizing your solution using our TE and Browser.

You can write scripts in JavaScript programming language to customize and/or automate your solution.

Q22. Can I remap my keys?

A22. Yes. You can remap any physical key on the device to any host key, application operation, escape sequence, text string or script. In addition you can also use soft key buttons in the configurable KeyBar.

Q23. Do your products work on any Windows CE device?

A23. In addition to offering device tailored versions of our products, we offer generic / non-scanner integrated versions of CETerm. These can be installed on any Windows CE or Windows Mobile device. Please make sure that you match the Windows CE OS version and your device      processor type with the right download version of CETerm.

Q24. Does your product support SSH?

A24. Yes we do. SSH is a popular software based approach to network security. With integrated support of SSH functionality within CETerm, you get a secure way to transmit data utilizing strong encryption and authentication to ensure confidentiality, authenticity and integrity of      exchanged data.

Q25. What is the difference between SSL and SSH?

A25. SSL or Secure Sockets Layer provides secure encryption of data between a handheld terminal and the host. It is the underlying security protocol used by web browsers. With SSL, they host system can also ask for a password to authenticate. This is sent over a secure      encrypted connection.

SSH, or Secure Shell, is a popular, powerful, software-based approach to network security. Before data is sent by our application over a network, it is automatically encrypted (scrambled). The data is automatically decrypted (unscrambled) when it reaches the host. The result is      transparent encryption: users can work normally, unaware that their communications are safely encrypted on the network. In addition, SSH uses modern, secure encryption algorithms and can be found within mission-critical applications at major corporations.

Q26. Does CETerm support RFID readers?

A26. Yes it does. Since not every hardware device manufacturer has support for RFID readers, please contact your device manufacturer to see if your terminal is supported.

Q27. How do I license all my terminals so that I don't have to enter a registration key into each and every terminal?

A27. Our product supports an "Automated Licensing" capability. When you purchase software licenses, you will receive a license.xml file for all your terminals on which you plan to deploy our product. Simply place the license.xml file on a web server or copy it to the individual      terminals. Configure a path to this license.xml file in our application and it will automatically "look up" its registration key and register the license when you connect on any session the first time.

Q28. How can I setup my terminal so that all applications and settings are restored following a cold boot?

A28. As part of deployment configuration, you can setup devices so that our application will self-install and restore the application and device configuration settings after a cold boot. Such setup is specific to the terminal device because each hardware device manufacturer      provides a different mechanism to achieve this. Cold boot persistence instructions for all supported terminals are in our support knowledgebase.

Q29. How can I try out CETerm?

A29. You can download a full featured trial version from the download page on our website. Device tailored versions are available for several devices.

Q30. What is the evaluation period?

A30. With the trial version, you can connect to your host for up to 40 connections. There is a time-out associated with the length of connection time. Following this evaluation period, you will need to purchase a registration key.

Q31. What is included in CETerm?

A31. CETerm is our all inclusive 4-in-1 product. It provides three terminal emulations (3270, 5250 and VT) and a Data Collection Web Browser in the same application package.

Q32. I have configured my terminal. Now I want to replicate the settings to other terminals. How do I do this easily?

A32. All our application settings are maintained in the device registry. Once you have configured the device and applications, you can use any third party registry tool to export the settings to a file. To replicate the settings, you can import the registry file into another terminal. If      you do not have a registry export / import utility, we can provide one to you. Please refer to our knowledgebase for details.

Q33. My terminal is not listed in on of your device tailored versions. Can I still use CETerm for barcode data collection?

A33. Yes you can. If we do not offer a device tailored version of CETerm for your terminal, then you can use the generic / non-scanner integrated version. You will also need to run a barcode wedge application, which will be available from your terminal or scanner manufacturer.      The barcode wedge application will scan the barcode data and send it to CETerm as simulated keystrokes. All scanner and symbology configuration must be done in this wedge application.

Q34. The terminal on which I registered my CETerm software license has failed. How do I license my software on the new replacement terminal?

A34. Hardware terminals can sometimes fail. If this happens, we will "transfer" your license to your new replacement terminal. To do so we request that you submit a "License Transfer Agreement" form. This is available on our website at the following      link http://www.portal.naurtech.com. If you have further questions, please contact us at Support Portal.

Q35. How is your product distributed?

A35. We follow a web distribution model. Nothing is shipped physically. You can download our product from our website for trial. The trial version is fully featured. Its only restriction is connection limits. Once you purchase a software license, registration keys are e-mailed to      you. You can use these to register the software which will remove any trial mode restrictions