When trying to deploy an Agent via the Management Console you recieve the generic error 'Failed with exit code: 1603'.
If you then try to run the installation manually as an administrator you recieve the actual error 'Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\<GUID>\<GUID>. System error 5. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.'
If a manual installation fails then this is the issue that needs to be addressed first.
In this case, the manual installation of an EMAgent fails with 1402, see below:
The issue appears to be related to registry permissions, specifically around the following registry key:
To fix this issue you need to re-apply the permissions using the following steps:
1. Launch REGEDIT
2. Navigate to the registry key displayed above
3. Right click on Components and select Permissions…
4. Click the Advanced button
5. Select the Owner tab
6. Under Change owner to: select Administrators (Group) and click Apply.
7. Then select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box and click Apply.
8. Go to the Permissions tab, select the check box Replace all child objects Permissions with inheritable permissions from this object, and click apply. Note that the wording maybe a slightly different depending on your operating system.