This article will walk through deploying multiple pre-built Software Distribution packages. It will detail how to specify an order, and how to place a re-boot action after an application has installed, before installing applications that come after. This document will describe how you can allow a job to continue even if one or more of the Software Distribution packages fail.
It is assumed before attempting this that all of the packages have been built in Ivanti EPM under the "Distribution Packages" section. It is assumed before chaining multiple packages that they have all been individually tested and working as expected. It is assumed that you have an Ivanti EPM license that allows access to Ivanti EPM Provisioning.
- Open the 32-bit console and select Tools | Distribution | OS Deployment
- In the Middle of the Operating System Deployment Window select "Provisioning Templates"
- Expand "My Templates".
Note: If it is desired for this to be a "Public Template", expand "Public Template".
Creating the Software Distribution Template
- Right-Click on "All My Templates".
- Select "New Template".
- Give the Template a Name and Description
- Select "OK".
Configuring the Template
- Double-Click on the new Template.
- Highlight "System configuration".
- Select "Add" from the bottom of the Template.
- The "Add action" box should now be displayed.
- Name the action. Name the action something that indicates the software that will be installed with this action.
- A description is not required.
- From the "Type" drop-down list select "Distribute Software".
Note: You will notice under the "Options" section there is a check box to tell the template to "Stop Processing the template if the action fails". This is where a decision has to be made if this software failing to install will cause problems with any of the following Software Packages. If it will not cause any issues, this option can be unchecked.
- Select "OK"
- You will notice under "System Configuration" The "action" that was created.
- Highlight the "action" that was created.
- On the right-hand side of the Template there is a drop-down list called "Software Distribution Packages".
- Select the Software Distribution Package that will be associated with this action.
- Select Apply.
Add More Actions to this Template
- Highlight "System Configuration" Select "Add" from the bottom of the template.
- Duplicate the steps as many times as needed starting at the "Configuring the Template" section.
Add a Re-boot action
- If needed a re-boot action can be placed before or after any already created action.
- To add a re-boot action follow the same steps as above. Instead of selecting "Distribute Software" select the "Re-boot/Shutdown" option from the "Type" drop-down list when creating the action.
- Select "OK" once the Template is complete.
Note: Once you have completed creating the actions they can be arranged. Simply highlight the action that needs to be move and drag and drop it into the decided order it should be in. The actions will be executed in the order shown in the Template.
Scheduling the Template
- Right-click on the template and select "Schedule Template".
- Use an LDMS query, LDAP Query, or drag and drop the system(s) to the Scheduled Task.
Note: Templates when scheduled can only use a Policy or "Policy-Supported Push" Delivery Method.
NOTE: To prevent the UI from being shown to the end user rename the "ProvisionGUI.exe" file on the core server in the following location: LDMAIN\ldlogon\provisioning\windows