With the 2017.1 release of Xtraction comes the ability to integrate dashboards into Workspaces. The following document will provide the necessary steps to set up this integration and collect information from Xtraction for display in Workspaces. Please ensure you have access to both the Xtraction server and the Workspaces server prior to beginning the configuration process.
Note: The guide that follows assumes that Workspaces is already installed and configured within your environment. For assistance in completing the Workspaces setup please see the following document: How to use Configuration Center to set up a Workspaces Database You may also want to visit the Workspaces subspace of the Ivanti community here.
Step by Step
Important Note: You need to have a working Identity Server framework and BridgeIT application configured on your Service Desk or your EPM (LDMS) server to go through this configuration. EPM 2017.1 has an Identity Server BridgeIT application configured out of the box so it is recommended to use that configuration if possible. Service Desk 2017.1 has been tested and works with this configuration as well but you will need to configure an Identity Server application and BridgeIT instance before going through this guide. See this link for more information: Configuring Workspaces (BridgeIT) and Web Access to use Identity Server Logon Policy
This configuration will not work on a Xtraction server that uses integrated security for ANY of the SQL connections. Including the SQL connections in the Data Model and the Xtraction Settings utility. You will need to switch to using explicit SQL logins for those connections for this integration to work.
1. On the Workspaces server connect to the Configuration Center. This can typically be accessed by navigating to https://<server name>/ConfigurationCenter within a browser. At which point the 'Current Instances' will be displayed, as in the example below:
Click on the Instance to access its options.
2. Once you have accessed the Instance options, navigate to the 'Configured Applications' menu. Locate the 'My.BridgeIT' application and select the 'Edit' option.
3. Within the application options, there will be a configuration parameter that will need to be defined for the Xtraction Web API URL. Within the box, input http://<server name>/XtractionApi/Xtraction/api/ as seen in the screenshot below:
- Change the 'server name' portion of the URL to the Xtraction server name or IP address within your environment.
- Take note of the Identity Server URL because you will need this exact URL for step 5.
Then click 'OK' to save the changes.
4. The next step will need to be done on the Xtraction server. Start by opening the 'Xtraction Settings' UI. This should be available from the Windows menu or by navigating to the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Xtraction Software\Xtraction\Tools\' directory and launching XtractionSettings.exe. Once open, click on the 'Identity' tab.
5. Once in the Identity tab, the Identity Server URL will need to be input. This is the URL noted in step 3: .
Once this information has been input, click 'Update'. You should receive a 'Success' message once the configuration has been accepted.
Note: If you receive an error message, please confirm the Identity Server URL and that the Workspaces server is accessible from the Xtracton server.
6. In order for Xtraction Dashboard options to display, within Xtraction you will need to have domain user accounts with at least Xtraction designer privileges and at least one Dashboard configured and saved. Below is a screenshot of a Dashboard configured in Xtraction:
Note: The two sets of data being used for this example are 'Incidents Incident Count' and 'Incidents Category Full Name' from a Service Desk database.
7. Once this is complete, login to Workspaces using the same domain user account. Click on the 'Administration menu' and then the 'Manage Dashboards' option. Within the Manage Dashboard screen select 'Add Dashboard'
8. Select the 'Add New Gadget' button and then select the 'Chart' gadget type.
9. Within the 'Modules' you will see 'Xtraction - Dashboards' along with the number of datasets available to choose from. Using the example above, there will be 2 datasets to choose from since we have both 'Incidents Incident Count' and 'Incidents Category Full Name' within our saved Dashboard in the example in step 6.
Select 'Xtraction - Dashboards' then select the objects, which in this example are 'Incident Count' since that is the name of the example Dashboard. Then select the Dashboard component you wish to display. The available queries will be based on the component tiles within the Dashboard. Each tile in Xtraction is represented as an available query in Workspaces. Once you have selected the query, you will see the gadget tile display the information from Xtraction as seen below:
10. Now that the information is displayed you can alter different properties of the gadget such as the Name, Subheading, Display Types, Color Palettes, and the maximum number of items in the chart.