How to see the handlers in the properties settings in Window Manager

Version 8

Verified Product Versions

LANDESK Service Desk 7.7.x

Problem

I need to add some specific functionality to a window or field to make it behave in a special way. I have been told that to do this I need to see the "Handlers" property in Window Manager

Handlers option.JPG

Solution

The handlers that provide this special functionality are hidden normally, they are enabled by changing a key in the console.exe.config file needs to be edited before you can see (and edit) the list of available handlers within Console. This means that the handlers property will only be visible in the Console that you have made the changes in, not in every one.  However, the changes you make to the handlers on a window or field will affect every Console.

You must close the console you want the property to appear in before you make the required changes to its configuration.

The console.exe.config file is found (in a default installation) in C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LANDesk ServiceDesk\ if you are working on a 64bit machine you will need to edit consolex64.exe.config.  If your console is installed via One Touch please see How to see the handlers in the properties settings in Window Manager for the location.
    Once you have the config file open for editing. find the lines:
    <add key="ClientMetadataCaching" value="false" />
    </appSettings>

and insert above them:
    <add key="ShowHandlerConfiguration" value="true" />
    <add key="ConfigureHandlers" value="true" />

add handler key.JPG

When you have made the required changes you should remove the lines again so you don't accidentally change settings again in the future.

Note

The reason this property is normally hidden is because most of the handlers it provides access to are required on the various fields to which they are added.  Making any changes here that are not recommended by a LANDesk engineer could result in your fields or windows not behaving correctly.

Environment

LANDesk Service Desk versions 2.x and 3.x