The behavior arises from Microsoft Excel 2010 and higher security settings for Blocked files
(File > Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Setting > File Block Settings)
When the "Output to:" feature is used, Microsoft Excel will create a worksheet in Excel 4 format, which is blocked by default in Microsoft Excel 2010 and higher.
In order to 'allow' such files to be Opened, modified and printed the File Block Settings in Microsoft Excel 2010 and higher needs to be disabled for Excel 4 formats.
(PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT CHANGING THESE SECURITY SETTINGS WILL ALSO APPLY TO OTHER EXCEL 4 FORMATTED FILES AND MIGHT NOT BE APPROVED BY YOUR IT ORGANIZATION)
0. Open Microsoft Excel 2010 or higher
1. File > Options
2. Trust Center
3. Trust Center settings
4. File Block Settings
5. Uncheck Excel 4 Worksheets
6. OK > OK
7. Retest the behavior - There should not appear the protection notification any-more and any data can be modified, sorted or the file can be saved as or be printed.
- Further information about those setting are available on the Microsoft Website: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/Excel-help/what-is-protected-view-HA010355931.aspx
- Please also see Knowledge-Base Article #11103 : Output to > Excel feature shows Microsoft Excel file in protected view without being able to modify, sort and print the worksheet.