Are there any other methods to gather records with a lot of OR conditions for the same field, like contact records of certain countries other than Filters?
- Gathering for any kind of action (maybe a mass mailing) all contact records from the Eurozone, which means currently Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain, but for example not the Czech Republic, Denmark and the United Kingdom
- Other possible scenarios would be also for example
- the user has regularly to use filters to gather contact records for 20 countries that we cover in the MENA market.
- the user has regularly to use filters to gather contact records for more than 5 different Interests
- the user has regularly to use filters to gather contact records for more than 5 different Account Managers
- Each criteria must be added with an OR condition which makes the filter condition very long and may lead to be note easily readable anymore, maybe even hit the limit of visible characters (see also related Knowledge Article #11742 for further information)
- It might be challenging when further conditions or combinations of different criteria must be considered for building a filter as brackets need to be set appropriately for example (Country = "Austria" OR Country = "Belgium" OR...) AND (Interest = "GMPE" OR Interest = "SAAS" OR ...) AND (AccountMgr = "LENAH" OR AccountMgr = "PATRICKS" OR....)
- While building a filter and any mistake is done the filter needs to be rebuild completely via pressing the Clear button which deletes not only the past entered condition but the whole filter expression so far and the filter needs to be build from the scratch again.
A. Consideration if there is any possibility to introduce one or even 2 further fields for a sub sub grouping of records
- For example from above scenarios a field UEURZONE or UMENA (for a certain market) etc.
>> Via such further fields the desired contact records may be already available as a pre-selection
>> The building of a filter expression may then not require as many conditions as with single conditions, for example instead of a filter expression Country = "Austria" OR Country = "Belgium" OR... it would be sufficient to set an expression UEURZONE = "YES"
>> This approach might be more simple to create a filter as not every criteria needs to be repeated again and again but of course once the filter condition is wrong the Clear button would be still necessary
B. Using the SQL IN operator within a SQL Query which
>> Can be stored and then much more easy adjusted than a filter
>> The result can be easily put int a GoldMine Contact Group
>> While filters require a OR ...OR... Or condition a IN operator within a SQL query has only one condition and the certain strings are simply provided as values in an ongoing list which can be easily changed, amended or corrected
- Steps for such a scenario where this time only DACH (Germany, Austria or Switzerland contact records) shall be gathered):
1. Tools >> SQL Query
2. Copy and paste (and adjust as desired) the following query
select country, * from Contact1 where country in ('Germany', 'Austria', 'Switzerland')
3. Button Save
4. Provide an appropriate Query name (in this example DACH countries) + Save as new query
7. Verify if the results are matching as desired - please keep in mind that a default SQL query limit shows here only 10000 records and may need to be adjusted via log on with master rights >> Tools >> Configure >> System Settings >> Display >> value Maximum number of records shown in SQL Query results >> adjust manually to an appropriate value if necessary (please refer to related Knowledge Article # 18820 for further information)
8. Building a GoldMine Contact group out of the SQL Query result via
9. Tab Groups in the current opened Filter - SQL Query tabs
10. New Group button
11. Provide a desired Group Name and keep Build the Group check box active
12. SQL Query records
13. If applicable provide a sort field
>> The GoldMine Contact group will be created
Please keep in mind that a GoldMine Contact group is static, so only current in the moment when the group is built and it may need to be recreated when further contact records matching the criteria were added. (Please refer to the GoldMine Online Help via Help menu >> GoldMine Help >> User Guide > Contact Management > About Filters and Groups > How Groups Differ from Filters)