Contact Search Center - Is there a way to set individually or globally the search operator to a default value other than 'Begins With'?
By default when opening the Contact Search Center via
- F4 key
- Go To > Search > Contact Search Center
- Double Click on a primary or user defined field label on the contact record
- The operator is always 'Begins with'
Can this be set individually or globally to a different operator than 'Begins with' for example 'Contains'
A. Per User via their Options/Preferences
- By the product's intention and configuration possibility the users can set individually in their own preferences via
1. Tools > Options
2. Lookup Tab
3. Select in the Default 'lookup by field' the option 'Remember Lookup By'
5. As next step the user would have to select one time manually or at least verify that the Search by is set to "Contains"
As long as the user does not change this operator to a different operator, it will default to 'Contains' when opening the Contact Search Center in most areas of the application. , This is also the draw back of the setting, as it remembers the last operator used and when the user changes the operator the 'new' selected operator will be remembered and used from then onwards until the next change will be done.
Also this will not work when double clicking on a field label but instead when opening the Contact Search Center via the Search Button or the menu Go To >> Search >> Contact Search Center.
- When using the double click on a field label it will default to 'Begins with' and it is recommended to use here as the CONTAINS parameter % for example %Art
B. Globally for all users and sticky
- A possible consideration for forcing ALL users to have always a default operator 'Contains'
- The setting should be documented and only applied by the GoldMine Administrator
- This way is not officially tested and maintained and provided only as-is, if the setting does have any inconvenient results for users it should be removed
1. Browse to and open on the GoldMine shared folder the GM.INI with Notepad
2. Add/adjust the section [User-Override:GM_SEARCH_CENTER] with copying the below entries
- The DefField=2 means to set the Remember Lookup by setting
- The LastUsedCondition=8 means Contains
1= Equal To
2= Not Equal To
3= Greater Than
4= Less Than
5= Greater or Equal
6= Lesser or Equal
7= Begins With
9= Does Not Contain
11= Is Not Empty
3. Save the GM.INI
4. Verify the behavior