What determines the default value for Stage when creating a new opportunity?
How can I set the default value for Stage when creating a new opportunity?
- The ‘default’ value when creating a new opportunity is what the Microsoft SQL Server identifies as the first value in the table Lookup for this specific lookup list – you can verify this with the following query
SELECT TOP (1) FIELDNAME, LOOKUPSUPP, ENTRY, MASTERVALUE, U_ENTRY, recid
FROM LOOKUP WITH (NOLOCK)
WHERE (FIELDNAME = 'OPSTAGE V')
Either submitted in the SQL Server Management Studio or by querying from within GoldMine via Tools >> SQL Query >> copy and paste query into pane >> Button Query
- On a demo version of GoldMine this means that 10 – Initial Contact will be first until this row is deleted, even when changing the F2 Lookup list entry to for example to 75 – Test Entry it will be still selected as the default value although the Field Lookup window will display this entry now after 70 - Making Decision as the Lookup window sorts by U_ENTRY asc(ending)
- The display of the Lookup entries in the Lookup list is in Alphabetical order but has no influence on the
- This means if a certain (lookup) entry should serve as default value for a new opportunity, the following steps are necessary
1. Preferred to be logged in master rights as otherwise you might be restricted for editing the lookup entry
2. Go To >> Opportunities
3. Button New Opportunity
4. either without using the Wizard proceeding to Properties:Opportunity window or when using the wizard proceeding until the Opportunity Wizard: Overview window appears
5. Identify which is the actual default value for the Stage entry
6. Open the Stage Lookup by setting cursor into the field and F2 key or by the right arrow on the field
7. Highlight the actual default value >> Edit button >> adjust the value to the desired Stage which should appear in future as the default value
Note: Keep in mind that this entry change may have impact also on the Pipeline view (within Opportunity Manager >> Actions button >> View Pipeline), make sure if there are further Stage entries adjustments are necessary and perform them if applicable via steps 6. and 7.
8. It should be considered to restrict this Lookup list for changes by other users via the Setup Button
(remove Edit and Delete options)