- What server requirement in regards of processor cores for using GoldMine?
- Does GoldMine support multiple processor cores?
- If using specific Microsoft SQL Server Editions will SQL use several processor cores?
GoldMine Premium Edition - The application and multi core processors:
- There are no specific requirements documented and necessary in regards of processors and processor cores
- In a multiple core processor environment, the Operating System determines how to optimize the load on the CPU for best performance.
- It is possible to run GoldMine in such an environment. However GoldMine has not been optimized to take advantage of parallel processing capabilities in a multiple core processor environment even though GoldMine executes its processes on several threads.
- The GoldMine application itself does not / cannot use several cores by itself an application needs to be multi-processor aware. This would require an application code rewrite to be capable of doing this. For further information, the reader may review for example the articles at https://askleo.com/why_wont_my_program_use_more_than_25_of_the_cpu/ and also at http://www.excitingip.com/1468/server-processor-basics-multiple-processors-multiple-cores-and-multiple-threads/ - Please keep in mind that this is a NON HEAT Software or GoldMine article and therefore only provided as is and information and location may change at any time without any notification.
GoldMine accessing data on a Microsoft SQL Server database - Data access and multi-core processors:
- Regarding Microsoft SQL Server, GoldMine uses Microsoft SQL Server to access data in the database, which means that Microsoft SQL Server will work with and use up to it's capabilities, which includes also processing in an optimized way in a multiple core processor environment but this does not change / influence the GoldMine application itself.
- MS SQL Server is prepared to perform concurrent operation in different cores. Depending on its editions / versions, it has some restrictions:
Please keep in mind that this is a NON HEAT Software or GoldMine article and therefore only provided as is and information and location may change at any time without any notification.
- It must be considered that there are queries submitted to the Microsoft SQL Databases Management System which are solely processed by Microsoft SQL Server, but there are also operations solely performed by GoldMine application itself which are not be performed in an optimized way in multi-core or multi-processor mode.