What is the [Plain Contact Record] record type, why does this appear sporadically when creating a new record and is there a way to delete/prevent this?
We have setup 2 new Record types (Customer , Equipment)
When creating a new contact record it will have one time an Equipment record type already selected, one time a Customer Record Type and then also occasionally have an undesired [Plain Contact Record] record type.
What kind of record type is this?
Can this record type be disabled or deleted?
Is there a way to prevent this from appearing [Plain Contact Record] when creating a new record within GoldMine?
- The [Plain Contact Record] is not a real setup Record Type but rather a system 'type' and therefore cannot be deleted as it simply does not exist in the manner as your 'manually' setup Customer and Equipment record type.
- The [Plain Contact Record] type is used when the record type is not explicitly specified or applicable by below rules.
- When you create a new record via the New Record button then the first thing GoldMine is looking for, is the set record type of the current (contact) record
>> If this is matching a setup record type (rule) then the same record type is applied to the new (contact) record
>> If the current record's record type value is not matching a rule / value then either
i. A default record type can be setup in advance (e.g. when there is e.g. a 80% probability that your new records will be Equipment) which will then be applied now.
This can be setup via:
1. With Master rights
2. Tools >> Configure >> Record Types
3. In the Record Types branch >> Right Click on the desired Record Type e.g. Equipment >> Edit
4. At the bottom section Record Type Default Status >> activate the Set as Default Record Type
6. Change to a different Record Type >> this will make the Apply Changes icon active
7. Click on the Apply changes icon and close the Record Type Administration tab
8. Verify the behavior
ii. Or if GoldMine does not find a match from the current contact record's record type value + no default record type was determined it will take the [Plain Contact Record], as GoldMine simply does not know what you want to create.
- If the user is getting the [Plain Contact Record] record type the user can
1. Simply open the drop down of the Record Type in the New Record window
2. Select the correct or desired record type and proceed with entering the new record's details
NB: This can be done with any other existing Record Type as well on the new contact record creation