This knowledge base article lists each release of HEAT PatchLink DeskTop, along with the new features introduced each release.
HEAT PatchLink DeskTop 2.3
HEAT PatchLink DeskTop 2.3 includes the following new capabilities:
Easier and Faster Installs
The HEAT PatchLink DeskTop Installer has an improved user experience. Changes include:
Dynamic installation options. The installer automatically scans the computer you're installing HEAT PatchLink DeskTop on. Based on the scan, the installer dynamically displays install options:
- If you're installing HEAT PatchLink DeskTop on a WSUS Server, the installer gives you the option of installing just the Plug-in, or the Server and Plug-in.
- If you're installing HEAT PatchLink DeskTop on a computer that only has the SCCM console installed, the installer only allows installation of the Plug-in. The user is not prompted to choose.
Automatic prerequisite installation. During installation of 2.3, the installer scans for all software prerequisites and, if they aren't found, automatically installs them for you.
Import and Update Signing Certificate
Easily import the signing certificate you'll use to sign 3rd-party patch content, directly from within HEAT PatchLink DeskTop's Configuration Wizard—no need to go through Microsoft System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP).
You can also change your certificate or update an expired one directly from within HEAT PatchLink DeskTop.
If you're an upgrading customer, the Configuration Wizard will detect the signing certificate from your previous installation, so you won't need to import a new certificate.
If your signing certificate expires or is no longer trusted, packages signed by that certificate are no longer eligible for deployment. To reinstate these packages for deployment again, you'll need to re-sign the packages after importing a new signing certificate.
After completing the certificate import, use the new Re-sign Packages dialog to:
- Identify packages with expired signing
- Re-sign the packages
This simple dialog allows you to keep deploying packages you've already published with minimal downtime.
HEAT PatchLink DeskTop 2.2
HEAT PatchLink DeskTop 2.2 includes the following new capabilities:
If you haven't already heard, Lumension has merged withFrontRange to form a brand new company, HEATSoftware! As a result, we've renamed Lumension Patch Manager DeskTop to HEATPatchLink DeskTop. After upgrading to version 2.2, you'll see some updated branding and a different color palette.
Publish Software to More than 100Categories
HEAT Software has updated System Center to allow software publication to more than the 100 categories that Microsoft arbitrarily imposed, so you won't have to micromanage your publications as you have in the past.
HEATPatchLink DataCenter Compatibility
PatchLink DeskTop can now be installed on the same server hosting HEAT PatchLink DataCenter version 8.3. You can now dedicate a single server to your third-party and Linux patching needs!
Windows 10 Plug-in Support
The PatchLink DeskTop 2.2 Plug-in can now be installed on Windows 10 machines (but you still must install the server on server-class operating systems).
Lumension Patch Manager DeskTop 2.1
HEAT PatchLink DeskTop 2.1 includes the following new capabilities:
Improved Installation Flexibility
You no longer have to install LPM DeskTop directly on your primary site server/Central Administration Site (CAS); it can now be installed on any server that's configured as a software update point for your highest-ranking SCCM Server (i.e. the primary site server or CAS).
Proxy Server Support
LPM DeskTop can now be configured to communicate with Lumension Cloud Services and other vendors through a proxy server.
Server Configuration Wizard
The 2.1 release introduces a new Server Configuration Wizard, which can be used for end-to-end configuration of the LPM DeskTop Server. Use it to enter proxy settings, establish a connection with your SCCM primary site, and activate your license. This wizard will launch after installation or upgrade, and you can access it anytime within the Plug-in from LPM DeskTop Settings.
Lumension Patch Manager DeskTop 2.0
HEAT PatchLink DeskTop 2.0 includes the following key features and benefits.
- Streamlines 3rd Party Application Patching for System Center environments, bridging the gap between IT Security and Operations.
- Provides Patch Content for Most Prevalent and At-Risk Enterprise 3rd Party Applications, ensuring compliance beyond Microsoft® OS and native applications.
- Integrated Plug-in Automates 3rd Party Application Patching for System Center Environments, reducing manual processes through auto content subscription and synchronized scheduling via familiar SCCM schedule options.
- Increases Enterprise Patch Deployment Reliability using the patent-pending Patch-Smart™ technology reducing IT burden and overall cost.
- Supports Enterprise Versions of 3rd Party Applications, providing the enterprise-class patching required to ensure security and compliance.
- Delivers In-depth Enterprise Vulnerability Information, supporting enterprise-level compliance and security reporting and auditing needs.
- Supports Specific Application Versioning, allowing organizations to maintain compliance with internal policy and external regulations.
- Utilizes Secure / Centralized Content Repository, improving security and reducing the bandwidth and time requirements on IT.
- Delivers Timely Visibility, reducing security gaps through user-configurable alerts for events requiring immediate attention (e.g., failed sync, update availability, etc.).
- Offers Multi-Language Content, supporting global enterprises.
This article will be updated each time a new version of HEAT PatchLink DeskTop is released.