Steps to create a field with an automated counter in a business object.
Example: A customer would like to automatically assign a unique ID when creating a new record in a business object.
1. Create the Counter:
- Log into the AdminUI under the Administrator role
- Go to Settings > Build > Counters
- Click 'Add New': A blank counter form appears
- Enter information into the fields.Name - This is the name that will be used in the initialization business rule for the business object to get the next counter value.
Base Value - The first or initial integer value for the counter. This could also be a negative number. Counter length is limited to 9 digits.
Increment - The incremental counter value for the next record.
2. Create a Number field on your Business Object (add to form\grid as needed)
- Type Specific Information
Total Number Of Digits: 10
3. Create the business rule to create a new counter value for each new record.
- Under the Business Object > Business Rule: Create a new initialization rule
- Choose the Business Rules tab. The list of business rules appears.
- Within the Initialization Rules section, click 'Add Initialization Rule'. The Add Initialization Rule window appears.
- Enter information into the fields.on
Field Name The field in which this initialization rule applies (Number field you previously created)
Field Value Enter the expression: $(GetNextCounter(CounterName))