I attempted to install Full Text Search on my SQL Express 2014 goldmine database. Unfortunately it appears the installed version of SQL Express does not include advanced services which is required for Full Text Search. Therefore, full text search is not listed as an option. If I download the correct version of SQL Express, what steps do I need to take to upgrade so Full Text Search is available?
NOTE: This document is provided AS IS with no warranty express or implied. The GoldMine Support Desk does not assist with SQL installs or modifications. If you are not comfortable administrating SQL please contact your GoldMine Solutions Partner or SQL expert.
- SQL Express 2008 and higher are limited to a 10 GB total database size. Adding Full Text Search and installing Universal Search will substantially increase database size up to double the size.
- After the changes are made it will take time and processing resources to fully populate the full text indexes for GoldMine Universal Search to work properly. This can take from minutes to several hours depending on database size.
1) Ensure that all users are out of GoldMine for network deployments and for stand- alone installs that GoldMine is closed.
2) Create SQL backup(s) of GoldMine database(s).
3) Download SQLEXPADV file from Microsoft.
a. NOTE: It is important to download the X86 or X64 version to match the current SQL X86 or X64 install.
b. NOTE: It is important that the same version as the existing SQL Express install is downloaded. Though this document was created using SQL Express 2014 the information applies to SQL Express 2008, 2012, 2014, and 2016.
4) Run the SQLEXPADV file downloaded in step #3 above and choose “New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation”
5) Click “Next”
6) Let scan finish or click “Skip Scan” ; in either case and if the scan fails click ”Next”.
7) Select “Add features to an existing instance of SQL Server 2014” and verify that the “Installed instances” matches the SQL instance you are trying to modify.
8) Select “Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search” and click “Next”.
9) For the “Specify the service accounts and collation configuration” screen click “Next”.
10) Once the install is completed as indicated by a green check-mark click “Close”.
11) Open Services on the SQL Server, Undocked machine, or Stand-alone install by running services.msc or from the Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services.
a. Highlight “SQL Full-Text Filter Daemon Launcher (SQLEXPRESS or instance name)” >> Right-click >> “Properties”
b. On the “General” tab change “Startup type:” to “Automatic” >> click “Apply” then click “OK”.
12) Either restart the “SQL Full-Text Filter Daemon Launcher (SQLEXPRESS or instance name)” by right clicking and choosing “Restart” or even better restart the server, Undocked, or Stand-alone machine.
13) After the service or machine is restarted in step #12 launch GoldMine as a user with MASTER rights.
a. When prompted “Would you like to install Universal Search” select “Yes”.
14) Once GoldMine launches verify that Universal Search is now installed. This can be done by opening Tools >> Configure >> System Settings >> Advanced tab – verify that the Universal Search button now shows “Unisntall”
NOTE: This full resolution can be downloaded from this Knowledge Article below under "Further Attachments".
NOTE: There is a lot of further SQL Full text and Universal Search troubleshooting information in related Knowledge Article 13004.