Manual Installation or Updating of the Lumension Endpoint Security SX Database

Version 1

Details

Lumension Endpoint Security (LES), all supported versions

PROCEDURE

Manually Install the HEATsoftware Endpoint Security SX Database:

1.   Create a database called SX on the required SQL server.
    2.   Assign the database-level role of db_owner for this database to the user account which will be running your Application/SXS Server service.
    3.   Assign the server-level role of sysadmin to the user account which will be installing the actual application server.
    4.   Follow the steps in the "Manually Upgrade the HEATsoftware Endpoint Security SX Database" section below but run all the SQL scripts from the bin\db folder in succession (as opposed to the below process which selectively chooses which SQL files to run).

Manually Upgrade the HEATsoftware Endpoint Security SX Database:

These scripts for the upgrade are included in the installation media for the version you are upgrading.  You can download from the HEATsoftware Customer Portal if you do not already have them.  The database scripts are in the \bin\db folder in the installation media.  Once you have these:

1.   Create a batch file with the following command and put it in its own directory:
    for %%i in ("sx*.sql") do sqlcmd -S SERVER\INSTANCE -E -d DATABASE -e -r -i %%i -o %%i.log

Replacing SERVER/INSTANCE with your SQL Server hostname (and named instance if applicable) and replacing DATABASE with the name of the LES database which is called sx be default.
    1.   Determine the version of the existing SQL SX database. To do this it is necessary to connect to the database with SQL Management Studio. Once connected, query the sxdbversion table in the SX database and make note of the number returned by the query, noted below:
    SELECT * FROM sxdbversion
    1.   Determine which scripts need to be run: 
    In the \bin\db directory of the installation binaries you will see numbered SQL scripts. Each numbered script indicates a version, and each one must be run in succession. Compare your version to this directory and copy every script ABOVE your version into the same directory as the above batch file. For example, a LES 4.4SR1 database has a version of 420 and a 4.6 database has a version of 439. In this situation, we would need to copy the .sql files from 421 to 439 into the same directory as the previously created batch file.
    1.   Run the batch file created in step 1.  It will run sqlcmd and execute each .sql file in the directory in succession, which is necessary to populate the SX database. In order for the command to run successfully, the Windows account running the batch file should have sysadmin server-level role rights to the database.

NOTE: We strongly recommend stopping the SXS services on the Application Servers during this upgrade.  Also, ensure you have a full backup of your SX database before following this procedure or when making any manual changes to the database.

If you have any questions on this item please contact HEATsoftware Technical Support.