GoldMine Web (GMWEB) - How to identify in which Contact Set database GoldMine Web is currently?
- The current opened contact set within GoldMine Web is also the last opened Contact Set database (from the USER.INI > COMMONDIR entry) and only when the user never opened the GoldMine windows client or the USER.INI's COMMONDIR entry was removed then the COMMONDIR entry from the GM.INI is used instead.
- The current product does not provide a possibility for a user to identify which contact set database GoldMine web is currently using. This is logged as RM feature # 227485 - GMWEB - being able to identify in which Contact Set the user is currently (preferred even also GoldMine base database)
- This article should provide a possibility which can be used by customers as a workaround to be able to verify in which Contact Set GoldMine Web is currently.
- The idea of the workaround is that in each Contact Set a specific contact record is created, owned by the GoldMine Administrator for example user MASTER, but not curtained so that it is available for all users.
- All users when ownership is set this applies only to users with master rights must not change the company or contact name
- Due to the agreed and documented format of the contact record GoldMine Web user can search for the specific record within GoldMine Web and can identify via this way in which Contact Set they are currently using.
[STEPS TO PREPARE]
- For this scenario it has been determined that the following format is used: Company: GMWEB Contact Set, Contact: name of the contact set (here the description of the contact set is used)
- Another possibility would be to switch Company and Contact intention and use for example as Contact ZZZZ GMWEB Contact Set and Company as Contact Set Name, as the default appearance for contact records in GoldMine Web is sorted by (Contact) Name, which means records with a Contact name starting with ZZZZ will be in most cases at the Last page and no search is necessary.
Whatever the decision will be, the most important is to document the decision, communicate to the user and keep consistency within the GoldMine Premium Edition system.
1. Log into GoldMine Premium Edition as a user with master rights
2. Verify which Contact Set is opened currently (for example from the Status bar or Tools > Databases > Open Databases > the currently highlighted Contact Set when using the Description, or via Help > About GoldMine > System > Contact Files when the Alias should be used)
3. New Record Button
4. Company = GMWEB Contact Set, Contact = Small Demo
6. Edit > Record Properties > Record-related Settings
7. Ownership Tab
8. Set Owned by to the current user + set Record Curtaining to None
10. Tools > Databases > Open Database
11. Change into the next / other Contact Set Database
12. Repeat the steps 3. - 9. for this specific Contact Set Database
13. If applicable repeat steps 10. - 12. for all remaining Contact Set Databases
14. At the end make sure to open the appropriate / desired Contact Set Database again via steps 10. and 11.
[STEPS TO VERIFY]
1. log in to GoldMine Web as a non master user (to make sure that the specific contact record can be seen)
2. In the search bar enter GMWEB Contact Set > Go
RESULT: The search result should provide a single record (depending on the agreed format) or at least within the records one record showing now as contact the specific Contact Set Database for example Small Demo
3. Log out of GoldMine Web
4. Log into GoldMine Premium Edition as this user
5. Tools > Databases > Open Database
6. Change into the next / other Contact Set Database
7. Repeat the steps 1. - 3. for this specific Contact Set Database and verify that the result is as expected
8. If applicable repeat steps 4. - 7. for all remaining Contact Set Databases
9. At the end make sure to open the appropriate / desired Contact Set Database again via steps 5. and 6.
- For example as Contact ZZZZ GMWEB Contact Set and Company as Contact Set Name, as the default appearance for contact records in GoldMine Web is sorted by (Contact) Name, which means records with a Contact name starting with ZZZZ will be in most cases at the Last page and no search is necessary
Additional Note: since GoldMine Connect 2015.1. Hot fix 2 and higher (build 2015.1.0.375 and higher) it is possible to identify the view page source to determine the GoldMine Base and Contact Set database aliases currently in use. (see related Knowledge Article # 18372)