How to start an external application via the LOOKUP.INI when a certain field value changes in GoldMine
- When a certain field (in the below example the USERDEF01) is changed to any value within GoldMine then the application Notepad++ should be started
- How can this accomplished with a LOOKUP.INI?
The LOOKUP.INI is one of the most complex features within GoldMine and setting up and troubleshooting the LOOKUP.INI is outside the usual GoldMine Support boundaries.
It might be necessary to discuss further with a partner providing professional service and any recommendation and information from the below article is provided only as-is without any warranty of any kind
- The Online help provides information and examples about the LOOKUP.INI via Menu Help > GoldMine Help > Administration Guide > Data Maintenance and Management > About the Lookup.ini and the related sub chapters
Adjust / Create the LOOKUP.INI for this functionality (only) in the following way
[STEPS TO VERIFY]
1. Browse to Bea Defkow
2. Fields Tab
3. If applicable select via right click on the Fields tab > Custom Screen > End User Screen
4. Enter any value into the field Platform (USERDEF01) and leave the field
Notepad++ will open
5. Make sure to close Notepad++ again
6. Change the value in the field Platform (USERDEF01) and leave the field
Notepad++ will open again
- In this specific case the notepad++ application path was shared so that it can be seen that this would work, please keep in mind that certain applications may require (similar as for example GoldMine) a local installation and need to be started from a local path.
- In such a case all machines using this feature need to have the application installed locally at the same location.
- The Runflags statement can be placed after the Overwrite statement to inform GoldMine when to run an external application.
Runflags=l Only when the field’s lookup value is found.
Runflags=2 When the field is updated via [AutoUpdate].
Runflags=4 When the field is updated via Automated Process.
Combinations of the above can be made and will work on an AND basis, that is, both conditions must be true. For example:
Runflags=3 When a Lookup value is found and when the field is updated via [AutoUpdate].
Runflags=6 When the field is updated via [AutoUpdate] and when the field is updated via an Automated Process.