Can the Username: field in the GoldMine login screen be blank by default?
There is no possibility to have a blank username field upon login.
One of three conditions will determine how that field is populated.
1. USER=<username> entry in the [GOLDMINE] section of the GM.ini file.
- <username> is a valid GoldMine user, and will populate the Username: field of everyone who starts GoldMine.
*Additionally, you can use the generic "USERNAME" in the USER= field, so that it will populate with that for everyone. Every user will then have to manually type their user name, but they will not be blocked out due to too many failed login attempts (when the user field is auto-populating with a name other than theirs, but they are attempting to login with their password). This is because the user "USERNAME" does not actually exist, therefore, no failed logins are being recorded.*
2. USER= entry is not present in GM.ini.
- When the USER= entry is absent from GM.ini, the Username: field of the GoldMine login screen, will be populated with the first eight characters of the user's Windows login.
- This overrides both of the GM.ini conditions described above.
- <username> is a valid GoldMine user, and will populate the Username: field for the Windows user, starting GoldMine, who modified the Target in their GoldMine shortcut.
- This is user specific where each user can use his/her GoldMine userid in the /u: switch.
- If you had GoldMine pinned to the Taskbar prior to adding the /u: switch, either unpin GoldMine from the Taskbar again, then from the modified shortcut, pin again GoldMine to the Taskbar or alternatively Right Click on the Task bar item >> Right Click on GoldMine >> Properties and also adjust here the Target.