How to gather a structural database from the existing GoldMine database without any contact related data?
- Sometimes it is necessary for your partner or GoldMine Technical Support or even for a simple test environment to have the identical structure of the current used database (for example with user defined fields and screens)
- The following steps describe a scenario where the structural database is created and then provided as a database backup file to another location, including the removal of the structural database from the current GoldMine again.
1. Log into GoldMine Premium Edition with master rights
2. Tools > Database > New Database
3. Check Create or copy data for contact set tables and create or copy for base GoldMine tables
4. Click 'Alias Manager' Button
4.a. 'New Alias' Button
4.b. Give the Alias a Name (for example BLANKGMDB)
4.c. Server Type (MSSQL)
4.d. Host (MS SQL Server usually MS SQL host name or MS SQL instance name for example: hostname\SQLEXPRESS)
4.e. Database BLANKGMDB
4.f. Owner (this defaults to dbo and should not be changed)
4.g. Login (for example: sa)
4.i. Click 'Create New Database' and afterwards click 'Test Connection'
4.j. OK > OK
5.a Select the alias BLANKGMDB from the drop down box - Please select the database alias for the new contact set tables and Please select the database alias for the base GoldMine tables
9. At the end of the process a message appears Your data has been successfully hosted onto the MSSQL database. Would you like to use the new MSSQL database as the default GoldMine database? Click NO
10. A further message appears Would you like to open the new MSSQL contact databases? Click NO
11. Tools > Databases > Open Database
13. Delete > Yes
15. Tools > Databases > Alias Manager
18. Open SQL Server Management Studio and create a database backup of the BLANKGMDB database
- This generated BAK file can be compressed and/or provided with the information about the used Microsoft SQL Server version
Please be informed that when GoldMine Technical Support is requesting such a structural database form you, the database backup will not contain any identifiable contact record data and therefore does not require any signed Data Transfer Authorization Form (DTA) from a GoldMine Technical Support's perspective.