ERROR: An error has occurred on the server. Please contact your system administrator. - when logging into GoldMine Web and opening contact list in CONTACTS
Configured and properly running GoldMine Web (GMWEB)
[STEPS TO REPRODUCE]
1. Start GoldMine Web as usual via the provided URL http://servername/goldmine/web
>> you are referred to the page http://servername/GoldMine/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fgoldmine%2fweb
2. Log in with your username and password
3. As by default the CONTACTS are opened you are getting straight away an error and you will get it repeatedly for every contact record within the contact set.
Server Error: An error has occurred on the server. Please contact your system administrator.
- An identified reason but not exclusively root cause, is that the CONTUDEF table for the current used contact set database contains duplicate entries for a Field_Name (the name for a field in the Microsoft SQL Server back end).
- This might be related to a CONTACT1 and/or a CONTACT2 field, so the whole table needs to be verified
- Via the following SQL query it can be already verified if the CONTUDEF contains any duplicate rows (can be used also within GoldMine >> Tools >> SQL Query
SELECT COUNT(*), FIELD_NAME, DBFNAME FROM CONTUDEF GROUP BY FIELD_NAME, DBFNAME ORDER BY COUNT(*) DESC
- The following steps should only be performed by an experienced GoldMine and SQL Administrator as deleting wrong data in the back end will result in data loss and malfunction of GoldMine!
- The FIELD_NAME ACCOUNTNO is 2 times available in the CONTUDEF table one time with a DBFNAME CONTACT1 and one time with a DBFNAME CONTACT2 >> This is NO DUPLICATE
- Although it is technically not absolutely necessary, it is highly recommended that all users are logged out of GoldMine, GoldMine Web and GoldMine Mobile, also all users should close any applications integrating with GoldMine, and services accessing the GoldMine application should be stopped by an Administrator
1. Make sure to have a full running backup of the GoldMine database you will change
2. In SQL Server Management Studio >> browse to and expand the GoldMine/Contact Set database
3. Expand Tables and right click on CONTUDEF >> Edit Top 200 Rows (if there are more than 200 records in this table this needs to be adjusted by increasing the Top 200 value via the show SQL Pane button)
4. Verify and delete duplicate rows (make sure that both entries are identical and if not verify which entry is the proper one used within GoldMine)
5. it is recommended to restart the IIS
6. Start GoldMine Web again and verify the behavior again
- It is highly recommended to document the change in the back end
- Keep in mind that this change is not sync aware, which means, if you recognized duplicates in the CONTUDEF table this should be checked also on any remote GoldMine systems
- When any fields with a DBFNAME CONTACT2 were deleted it is strongly recommended to perform a maintain individual tables (CONTUDEF + CONTACT2) with rebuild and pack the database tables from within GoldMine (Tools >> Databases >> Maintain Database feature). For the deletion of the back end, it is strongly recommended that all users are logged out, all applications integrating with GoldMine are closed and all services accessing the GoldMine database or application, this is absolutely necessary when performing a rebuild and pack action, After the rebuild action the user defined fields where a duplicate was deleted from CONTUDEF need to be verified. Also in this case it is necessary to restart the IIS again before users log again into GoldMine Web or GoldMine Mobile