Question: A customer wishes to re-install the Advance Agent to a client that once had the agent successfully installed. However, the re-install fails. The error returned in the Win32 Console is not very descriptive; only stating: "An internal error occurred".
Answer: When the Advance Agent installs on a client, it writes the following registry entries into the Registry:
1. HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\<string of numbers> at least one of which will have a key "ProductName" with a value of "LANDesk Advance Agent"
Note: There may be more that one of these, so it is important to check for all of them.
2. HKLM\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\WinClient\ConfiguredOn key.
These entries indicate that the Advance Agent is now on the system; therefore, there is no need to re-install it.
By design, any updates to the agent configuration thereafter should then be made via the "Scheduled Update" option under Agent Configuration or with a custom definition.
Yet in the case where the Administrator believes the agent is somehow corrupted or faulty and wishes to re-install the complete agent again, they can do one of the following:
a. To preserve the same name of the Advance Agent they had before:
- Open the Agent Configuration that was used to create the Advance Agent
- Do not make any changes, but rather just click "Save". This will give the configuration a new ID
- Then right click and choose to create a new instance of the Advance Agent, using the same name as before
(Thanks goes to James Marriott for the above suggestion)
b. Create a new "Advance Agent" with a different name.
Deploy the Advance Agent as before.