Endpoints fail to receive a v10 licence after upgrading to version 10.x of the Management Server

Version 1

    Verified Product Versions

    AppSense Management Center 10.0

    Introduction

     

    You may find that after an upgrade to version 10.x of DesktopNow, version 10 license files are failing to be downloaded to your endpoints even though you have obtained and deployed a v10 license as per DesktopNow version 10.0 introduces a new license format

     

    When a v10 license has been downloaded it should be present in the following location, with a file name which corresponds to your license ID. In your case it is not present:

     

    C:\ProgramData\AppSense\Licenses

     

    You will also see an error in the "Applications and Services Logs > AppSense" event log similar to the following:

     

    Error 15/08/2017 12:10:57 AppSense Application Manager Agent. 9901 None

    At Tue Aug 15 11:10:57 2017, the following features are not licensed and will be disabled: [0BAC3145-C52F-402F-8E68-982989D0ADFE] [6B30FF01-B07A-458B-9804-27760D30B3A5] .  The License ID is <None Found> and the version is 10.1.349.0

     

    If you then gather a set of Deployment Agent logs ( Client Communications Agent (CCA) Logging ), you will see that a 404 error is seen when the client attempts to download the v10 license:

     

    L3 T6748 338781583 [HttpRequest::HttpRequest] creating HttpRequest for URL [http://Test-AMC-01/managementserver/Deployment/License.aspx?Id=12345678-1234-1234-1234-123456789012]

    L1 T6748 338781599 [WinHttpClient::Navigate] HTTP 404 page not found

    Detail

     

    This issue has been seen so far for one customer, and after further investigation, we found that the customers' upgrade had partially failed to create the Management Server website.

     

    When checking IIS, we found that the License.aspx handler (which is used by clients to download the licenses) was missing. You should be able to locate this by opening up the IIS Management Console and clicking on "Handler Mappings" here:

     

     

    Once open, you should see the "License.aspx" handler listed here:

     

     

    Unfortunately, in this case, the customer was unable to reproduce the issue by running the upgrade again, so we were unable to determine the root cause.

     

    To fix the issue, we reset the Management Server instance as per the following knowledge article - How to Reset the Server Configuration Portal to an out of box state

    NOTE: If you reset the Management Server as per the above article, the Server will be unavailable to any endpoints until you reconfigure it via the Server Configuration Portal