This document goes over how to install SQL Server 2016 for use with Ivanti Endpoint Manager(EPM). This document assumes you have downloaded SQL Server 2016 Standard or above (i.e. not SQL Express).
The examples provided are for an environment where SQL Server and EPM are on different servers. However, the steps apply to when both are on the same server as well.
This guide does not take into account requirements for large enterprises or specific SQL Server configurations such as clustering, high availability, performance tuning, replication, etc.
The steps below will guide you through installing SQL Server 2016.
- Mount your downloaded SQL Server .iso file. This can be done by double-clicking on the file.
- Run Setup.exe as an administrator in the mounted disc.
- Select Installation > New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation
- On the next window, check the box to check for updates if you want, then hit next.
- Head through the subsequent screens until you get to Feature Selection.
- Install the Database Engine Services feature at least. You may also want to install Reporting Services - Native if you want to run reports, and SQL Server Replication if you're using a Rollup Core as well, and intend to roll up this database. Hit Next.
- On the next page, you can decide on a name for your SQL instance, or leave it at the default. Unless you have a need to name the instance, it's usually easier to just leave it at the default.
- On the Server Configuration page, you can leave the Service Accounts and Collation at their defaults. Hit Next.
- On the Database Engine Configuration Page, enable Mixed Mode authentication and specify an SA password. Use "Add current user" to add your windows user to the SQL Server admins, and add anyone else that should have access using the "Add" button.
- Head to the "Data Directories" tab and specify Data, log and backup directories if you desire. Refer to this document for recommendations based on your node count.
- TempDB and FileStream tabs can be left at defaults. Hit next.
- If you decided to install Reporting Services, you'll now have a Reporting Services configuration page. Leave it at "Install and configure" and hit next.
- Now you're ready to install. Review this final page to see if anything is missing or incorrect. If everything looks good, hit "Install".
SQL Management Studio
Setting up the database will be easiest using SQL Management Studio. To acquire SQL Management studio, you can have 2 main options:
- Download it from here
- Select the "Install SQL Server Management Tools" option in SQL Server Installation Center.
Creating The Database
- To create the EPM database, launch SQL Server Management Studio and log in.
- Right click on "Databases" in your Object Explorer, and select "New Database".
- Name the database, and hit "Ok". The database should then be created.
You can now specify this database during your install of Ivanti Endpoint Manager. The installation will take care of creating the schema and populating the necessary data.
In addition to the above, the below items should be considered regarding overall configuration.
- EPM uses a SQL account. You may want to create a separate SQL account specifically for LDMS instead of using the SA account.
- By default, when a database is created, it uses the Full recovery model. This can cause excessive transaction log growth. Switching to a Simple recovery model is recommended, as long as you create regular backups.
- Check out our database maintenance schedule recommendations here