How To: Fill out the CI MAP via integration import data connection

Version 1

Requires Access To:

Administrator Role in Service Manager

How To:

The Online Help contains a reference example showing how to import data that will populate the CI Map for existing CIs. However, it is missing certain info and steps; can more info be provided to round out the instructions found in the HEAT Service Management Online Help ?

Step by Step:

The first step is to gather the RecId values that you will need – this includes any CI’s you want to map, as well as the CI Named Rel Data table. The easiest way to get these values is to add them to an Export to Excel quick action, and export the set of values you’re working with (i.e. the results of a saved search of all CIs that meet your criteria).

Once you have the RecID values available, you’ll need to map them in a spreadsheet – it should contain 3 columns:

1. DataID (the CI Named Rel Data recId for the relationship between the CIs)

NOTE: Do not use the RecId of the CINamedRelConstraints as documented

2. SourceID (The downstream CI recId)

3. TargetID (The upstream CI recId)

Here’s a simple one-record example from the OOTB system: the DataID is the recId for the CI Named Rel Data relationship ‘Virtualizes’, then there is a CI Computer, and a CI Virtual Server that will be linked to it.

DataID

SourceID

TargetID

8AABA70B1A97415EA3930667ADEBCFCB

B60B8229B7E642B28B0AFD791D3530A7

A8830A2301D341E2978A50081D56E362

This record is entered  in an Excel spreadsheet, and saved as .csv. I named the file ‘CIMapDemo.csv’.

We then create the data import connection:

Select Configure Application

Select Integration Tools – Data Import Connection

Select Add New

I named mine ‘CI Mapping Import’ and selected Manual File Upload

Browse to the import file created above and choose Next

Give the mapping name

Highlight SourceID as the unique key (if it is not unique, add a row number column to your import file and use that value)

Search for the CINamedRelLink# object and highlight it in the Target Business Object section

Choose Next twice (skip filters)

Select Auto Map – it should map the 3 fields

Choose Next

Choose Publish & Run Now

Once the import is done, you should be able to refresh the affected record(s) and view the CI Map:

The first step is to gather the RecId values that you will need – this includes any CI’s you want to map, as well as the CI Named Rel Data table. The easiest way to get these values is to add them to an Export to Excel quick action, and export the set of values you’re working with (i.e. the results of a saved search of all CIs that meet your criteria).

Once you have the RecID values available, you’ll need to map them in a spreadsheet – it should contain 3 columns:

1.      DataID (the CI Named Rel Data recId for the relationship between the CIs)

NOTE: Do not use the RecId of the CINamedRelConstraints as documented

2.      SourceID (The downstream CI recId)

3.      TargetID (The upstream CI recId)

Here’s a simple one-record example from the OOTB system: the DataID is the recId for the CI Named Rel Data relationship ‘Virtualizes’, then there is a CI Computer, and a CI Virtual Server that will be linked to it.

DataID

SourceID

TargetID

8AABA70B1A97415EA3930667ADEBCFCB

B60B8229B7E642B28B0AFD791D3530A7

A8830A2301D341E2978A50081D56E362

This record is entered  in an Excel spreadsheet, and saved as .csv. I named the file ‘CIMapDemo.csv’.

We then create the data import connection.

Select Configure Application

Select Integration Tools – Data Import Connection

Select Add New

I named mine ‘CI Mapping Import’ and selected Manual File Upload

Browse to the import file created above and choose Next

Give the mapping name

Highlight SourceID as the unique key (if it is not unique, add a row number column to your import file and use that value)

Search for the CINamedRelLink# object and highlight it in the Target Business Object section

Choose Next twice (skip filters)

Select Auto Map – it should map the 3 fields

Choose Next

Choose Publish & Run Now

Once the import is done, you should be able to refresh the affected record(s) and view the CI Map: