How to create a trace file for troubleshooting Ivanti Workspace Control formerly known as RES ONE Workspace?
AnswerIMPORTANT: Keep the TraceFile value to C:\Users\Public\Documents\RESTrace.log if possible. This location is highly recommended as default because the correct permissions are set on this folder.
IMPORTANT: Before sending a tracefile to Ivanti Support open the tracefile and make sure log entries for the process PFWSMGR.EXE are present. If this is not the case check the permissions of the output folder.
To initiate the Ivanti Workspace Control tracing;
1. Add the following registry values to the machine running Ivanti Workspace Control (Note: from Workspace Control version 10.3.20.0 and higher these registry keys are created during installation);
These keys should be created in the location below depending on the OS architecture;
32-bits OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RES\Workspace Manager
64-bits OS: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\RES\Workspace Manager
Data: 5 (size in MB. Default= 2 MB, Recommended= 5 MB, Maximum= 50 MB)
3. Check if the trace file is created correctly at the configured location. See the notes section for recommendations!
4. For the investigation of Process Interception, an additional trace file named igstub.log is generated for intercepted processes within the user’s profile under “%TEMP%” (typically "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp").
Please make sure that "everyone" has Modify permissions on the folder where the log file is created.
If you have configured `Read-Only Blanketing` make sure you make an exception for the location of the trace file.
RES Trace Viewer
To use the Ivanti Workspace Control Trace Viewer:
2. Use "Run as Administrator" to launch the Trace Viewer on the computer where the problem exists.
3. Adjust the filter if needed, especially when there are multiple users on the system and the error occurs during logon.
Do not hesitate to contact Ivanti Support if you need any advice on how to configure the filter.
4. Choose "Yes" at "Do you want to trace in detailed mode?"
5. Save the Trace File.
5. After reproducing the issue, stop tracing, save and upload the trace file to your case at the Ivanti Support Portal for examination.
Please compress the trace file before uploading it to your case so it will not exceed the upload limit of 25 MegaBytes.