Want help finding and displaying variables to make email alerting more useful?

Version 14

Verified Product Versions

Endpoint Manager 9.5Endpoint Manager 9.6Endpoint Manager 2016.x

To start off...

When using email alerting it can  be useful to have more detail in the e-mail that can be obtained from standard variables.

The four standard variables that can be included are:

%D - Alert description

%T - Time alert was generated

%N - Name of computer that generated alert

%S - Severity of alert

While these variables can be helpful, there may be more information available that can provide better alert diagnostics.  The process for searching out the additional variables can be found in the article Additional Variables for Alerting.

Now, to help you in your search for variables you could try to decode  xml files that look like this:

ex-xml.jpg

Or, using the table or print output from this project, you can search data that look like this...

ex-table.jpg

ex-print.jpg

If you'd like to learn more about Alerts and their variables:
    1. Download, Unblock and Unzip the LANDesk Variables For Alerting package.
    2. Then click on the Start-Here Batch file to launch the Web Interface.

The Alerting Variables interface has five sections accessible by tabs running along the Header.
    1. Alerts included with the standard LANDesk Management Suite installation.
    2. Alerts installed with Server or System Manager installation.
    3. A "How To" area with a short example on how to use the variable information.
    4. A "Resources" area listing a few pertinent Community articles for getting the most value out of your variables.
    5. And a Frequently Asked Questions section.

I also highly recommend you also read the following Community Article on Additional Variables for Alerting.

Q: Is this supported by LANDesk Support?

A: Nope, this is not currently an  alerting function officially supported by LANDesk so you can't call Support about this.  My hope is that it will be helpful enough for you to be able to make better use of alerting.

Q: Can I complain about a problem with your project/code?
    A: Sure.  I'm open to comments, questions, and even smart remarks.  Leave your thoughts here on this Community article and I'll do what I can.  Though I'm not always able to respond to them right away, I do promise to read and consider any help or criticism.