This article discusses the 'LANDesk Abstraction Layer' event log messages the are created when the following registry key is created on the LANDesk Management Suite Core Server. It is intended to help a user better troubleshoot authentication issues related to LANDesk web applications, and is not intended to be the only resource used in troubleshooting.
To enable creation of these messages the following registry key must be created on the LANDesk Management Suite Core Server, then the user should attempt to browse the LANDesk Management Suite Web Console:
After attempting to browse the LANDesk Management Suite Web Console the user should open the event viewer by following the below instructions. To open the Windows Application Event View follow the below steps:
Go to Start | Run and type eventvwr.exe in the dialog box and then click OK, click on Application.
In the event viewer the oldest events are going to be at the bottom of the list, start by scrolling down until you locate the oldest (first) 'LANDesk Application Layer' event, open the event.
In all cases for this event the description contains the applicable information, it will always start with a bulk of text containing the following information:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( LANDesk Abstraction Layer ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
This information is largely superflous, and adding the /auxsource switch to the event viewer will not yield any additional information. The useful information is located at the end of this message.
Specific events for 8.8 are as follows after one completion specific events or the entire process may be repeated multiple times, this first series is indicative of a successful load of the LANDesk Management Suite Web Console:
- Constructor language: ENU. This information indicates the local language use.
- Starting to validate the user. This is the beginning of the user validation.
- User: <Domain>\<User>. The user attempting to load the LANDesk Management Suite Web Console is displayed.
- Checking local groups. The system is looking for the LANDesk Management Suite group on the Core Server.
- Found local groups. The system has located the LANDesk Management Suite group on the Core Server.
- Found the user in the LANDesk Management Suite group. The user has been located within the LANDesk Management Suite group on the Core Server.
- <Domain>\<User> is a member of the LDMS Management Suite group. Group membership is displayed.
- No connection string; core server: <Core_Server>. This indicates the the Web Service is not already connected to the database.
- Connection string: PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;driver=SQL Server;Data Source=<Database_Server>;initial catalog=<Database>;user id=<Database_Username>;password=<Database_User_Password>. The system displays information returned by the database connection string request.
- Opening a connection to the database using: PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;driver=SQL Server;Data Source=<Database_Server>;initial catalog=<Database>;user id=<Database_Username>;password=<Database_User_Password>. The system displays the information used to connect to the LANDesk Management Suite database.
- Database connection opened. The system verifies proper connection to the database.
- Checking the rights for user <Domain>\<User>. The User's RBA (Role Base Administration) rights are verified in the database.
- Getting the rights and user id. The system grants the user proper rights to the LANDesk Management Suite Web Console.
- Rights: ########## User ID: ##. The user's rights and ConsoleUser_IDN from the ConsoleUser are displayed.
- Getting any directory rights....
- Instantiating the information.dll. The LANDesk information.dll is loaded.
- Getting any directory rights for <Domain>\<User> from <Core_Server>.
- Opening connection: PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;driver=SQL Server;Data Source=<Database_Server>;initial catalog=<Database>;user id=<Database_Username>;password=<Database_User_Password>. Another connection is opened to the database.
- Connection opened. Connection opened successfully.
- Checking for a valid license. The system starts verification of the LANDesk Management Suite license.
- Found a license, so validate it. The system performs license validatoin takes place.
- Validated the license. The system completes license verification.
- Loading the cache.
- Passing language 113 to the Interpreter.
- Setting the DBMS type. The system loads the correct DBMS type.
- Database is loaded and ready. The system completes load of the database.
- ValidateUser succeeded. The system completes the user validation process.
A successful load of the 9.0 and 9.0 SP1 Web Console looks like the following (events that repeat have been filtered out in the interest of length):
- Constructor language: ENU
- No connection string; core server: CORE_SERVER
- LoadLanguage called with ENU
- Opening connection: PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;driver=SQL Server;Data Source=<Database_Server>;initial catalog=<Database>;user id=<Database_Username>;password=<Database_User_Password>
- Connection opened
- Loading the cache
- Passing language 113 to the Interpreter
- Setting the DBMS type
- Database is loaded and ready
- Connection already open
- Instantiating usermanagement.business.dll
- Getting scopes (XX, XX, XX) from AMP for DOMAIN\USERNAME
The following events can be encountered when Web Service authentication fails.
- Failed to create an instance of the LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Information.DatabaseInformation COM plus object, please verify that this object is installed and registered correctly.. This typically indicates that the COM+ object did not start or have correct user permissions, verify a valid user is used as the identity for the LANDesk COM+ objects. Follow DOC-1227 for assistance in proper configuration.
- Invalid connection string attribute. This typically indicates that the system has retrieved invalid database connection information, verify proper configuration according to DOC-1115, verify database user is valid and has valid password by creating an ODBC connection, see DOC-5876 for information on this process.
- Request to get database connection string.
88SP3 specified as core.
A web exception (shown below) occurred when contacting the web service on the specified core.
The web service response indicates that the current user was not authorized to access to the web service on the specified core. If this error occurs in the web console, please verify that COM+ user has permission to access the web service on the specified core server.
Web exception details - System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object parameters)
at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Information.DatabaseInformationWebReference.DatabaseInformation.GetConnectionString()at LANDesk.ManagementSuite.Information.DatabaseInformation.GetConnectionString(String core). This message typically indicates that there was a failure retrieving the database connection string. See step five of DOC-1185 for information on troubleshooting this message.