GoldMine 2018.2 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2
With the release of GoldMine 2018.2, the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008R2 have been removed from the GoldMine Compatibility Matrix - GoldMine Compatibility Matrix 2018.2 .
The reasons are primarily adding the feature TLS 1.2 support for database connection as this requires additional SP installations on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and also on Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 and is not included by default.
It might be also the case that additional changes are necessary to the system afterward. These hotfixes and changes are not within the scope of GoldMine Support and at this late stage of the lifecycle of the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2, the decision has been made to drop the support of both Microsoft SQL Server version systems in GoldMine 2018.2.
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 may still be used, but are officially not supported anymore. If a certain behavior is identified to appear only on these SQL versions, GoldMine Technical Support will advise running the GoldMine 2018.2 database(s) on an officially supported Microsoft SQL Server version.
Excerpt of the GoldMine 2018.2 release notes - GoldMine Release Notes 2018.2
TLS 1.2 support for database communication
- Support for TLS 1.2, the most used cryptographic protocol, was added
- TLS1.2 requires SQL Server 2008 SP4 / SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 or newer
Encrypted database connection
- GoldMine uses protocol encryption and validate database server certificate by default to adhere to the “Secure by default” security principle and “Privacy by default” principle
- A new step “Database Encryption” was added to the installer, where the user is asked if he wants to validate that the database server certificate is a trusted one. The default option is Yes.
- If a certificate was configured on the database server prior to beginning installation or upgrade and that certificate is trusted, then the user should leave the default selection and press Next button
- If on the database server there is no trusted certificate configured, then the user must choose No in this step, otherwise GoldMine will not be able to connect to the database after the installation/upgrade is complete.
See also further information regarding the removal of Microsoft Windows Server versions 2008 and 2008 R2 in article GoldMine 2018.2 and Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2