This article will cover best practices for creating a disconnected template and to help prevent some of the "gotchas" that commonly occur when creating one. At the bottom of this article will be solutions to some issues that may occur when creating the USB media.
Step by Step
- Make sure the core is configured as a preferred server in the content replication tool.
- Go through your template and remove any actions that require communication to the core server. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to:
- HII Actions
- Public Variables (Including variables in the Unattend.xml)
- Actions that require pulling preferred server credentials
- Patching Actions
- Software Distribution Actions
- Device Name Prompter
- As an alternative to the device name prompter, you can add a wait after the unattend is injected and then manually add the desired computer name to the unattend xml. Or you can rename the computer after the image is laid down.
Ivanti Support will not assist with any disconnected template issue if any of the actions are attempting (or need) to communicate with the core server. That is not an intended or supported configuration for disconnected templates.
3. If you are creating a Deploy disconnected template, make sure the following is done before attempting creation of the USB media:
- Make sure the image is captured or split into 2 GB chunks
- If using ImageW TBI, use the following command line syntax when capturing the image (This cannot be done after the image is captured): /b /d:0 /rb:0 /max:2GB /f:\\Your_Image_Path\Capture.tbi
- If using an ImageX WIM, open an admin CMD window and use the following command to split the WIM into multiple SWM files: Dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:C:\YOUR_WIM_PATH\YOUR.WIM /SWMFile:C:\YOUR_WIM_PATH\YOUR.SWM /FileSize:2000
b. If deploying a WIM/SWM file, make sure the deploy command line syntax is correct for split SWM file. See my example below:
c. If you plan on installing an agent in the template, use the option "Use Self-Contained Client..." and point the template action to a self contained agent executable.
4. Once your template has been sanitized of any actions that require communication to core server, grab your thumb drive, plug it into your Core Server or Remote Console, and right click the sanitized template and select "Create Disconnected Template".
- Once you hit create, all data on the drive will be wiped and the thumb drive will be formatted into a disconnected template.
- If everything is successful, you will have a functioning disconnected template!
There is an open defect (ID# 349947) where actions that are in the System Configuration section of the template will not continue after the machine reboots from WinPE to Windows. The current workaround is to manually copy the following files to the LDProvison folder on the thumb drive:
USB Creation Troubleshooting Steps
The first place to look would be the disconnected template log:
Check the log and see what errors are occurring during creation of the USB media. Here is a few examples of common errors that can occur and the ways to fix them:
ERROR BootMediaHelper 10/16/2018 3:06:08 PM : Error Mapping drive, lddwnld returned: 100003
ERROR PActionOffline 10/16/2018 3:06:08 PM : Could not copy image file: \\ps-ldms-us\Images\SvrStd_2012R2_16gb.tbi
The above error can be resolved by splitting the image file into 2GB chunks.
ERROR PActionOffline 10/16/2018 11:46:31 AM : Could not copy agent deploy to media. This will not fail media creation but template will not work correctly. Please manually fix this issue.
ERROR POfflineProvisiong 10/16/2018 11:46:31 AM : Could not copy some files referenced in the template. Template may have exported correctly, but the media will be missing some files. Please manually copy files to media or fix configuration and retry.
The above error can be resolved by using a self contained agent in the template and verifying the path to the EXE is reachable through UNC.
ERROR BootMediaHelper 10/16/2018 11:46:37 AM : Error Mapping drive, lddwnld returned: 100003
ERROR POfflineProvisiong 10/16/2018 11:46:37 AM : Could not download provisioning tools. Template may have exported correctly, but the media will be missing some files. Please manually copy files to media or fix configuration and retry.
The above error can be resolved by adding the core server to preferred server tool and verifying that the read credentials are valid. If using a remote console, make sure there is an agent installed on the remote console computer
If you are unable to work through the errors in the log, or cannot get a USB drive onto the core, you can follow this guide to create a template manually:
Troubleshooting Template Action Failures
Troubleshooting action failures in a disconnected template is roughly the same when troubleshooting a normal template. Find the handler that failed and look at the logs to see happened when the error occurred. If you run into an error with a template action, use the following document to export the logs from the WinPE environment:
For detailed information on the difference between offline and online provisioning, take a look at the following document: