Answer: Yes. However, the new version and the old version are the same as far as compatibility, hardware, and speed is concerned. Several changes where implemented in the new version for varying reasons as noted in this document. Some of the new features will be implemented in the coming months into the previous build of the Management Gateway.
Original version of the Management Gateway:
New version of the Management Gateway:
- The database engine MySQL was utilized in the original Management Gateway. The MySQL database had a license requirement to keep track of usage therefore the database engine was changed to PostgreSQL which doesn't have this requirement.
- Logging for the Management Gateway was changed from a Logs table in the database to a file structure. This change was necessary because of the large amount of logging required on the Management Gateway which in some cases caused errors in the database and forced a reboot of the Management Gateway. This change will be implemented in the 8.8 4.0-1.48 version of the Management Gateway and is scheduled for the first quarter of 2010.
- Some general GUI changes
- As noted at the top of this document compatibility and basic functionality of both versions of the Management Gateway remains the same. Both versions will work with a LANDesk 8.7, 8.8, and 9.0 core server.
- There should be very little if no performance change between versions.
- The hardware on the Management Gateway Appliance remains the same.
- Both versions will continue to be patched.
- Both versions will work with supported Management Gateway clients. (This includes all client functionality)