The steps below are dependant on the OS running on the machine where you are editing the boot.wim, for simplicity's sake it is best to modify the boot.wim on a device with Windows 7, Server 2008 R2, or later, and then copy it back to the core if needed.
Important Note: Any increase in the size of the free space inside the WinPE image requires that the corresponding space is available in RAM on the client machine. For example, a machine with only 512MB RAM WILL NOT load a WinPE image that is set to use 512MB of scratch space. The total space needed is approximately 365 MB plus free space. In WinPE Scratch Space can be set to 32, 64, 128, 256, or 512 MB.
Method for Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 or later:
- Create the following folder structure C:\Mount\Bootwim
- Copy \Program Files (x86)\LANDESK\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot\boot.wim to the C:\Mount\ folder.
- Open a CMD prompt as an Administrator.
- Use DISM to mount the boot.wim:
- DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\Mount\Boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\mount\bootwim
- Use DISM to increase the Scratch Space (This example increases it by 256MB):
- DISM /image:C:\mount\bootwim /Set-ScratchSpace:256
- Use DISM to commit the change, and unmount the image:
- DISM /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\mount\bootwim\ /Commit
- Copy the modified boot.wim from C:\Mount\boot.wim to \Program Files (x86)\LANDESK\ManagementSuite\landesk\vboot\boot.wim.
- Update the PXE representatives. You can use the script from this article: Updating the WinPE image on PXE representatives